Help a noob build a gaming computer

Brolly

New Member
I have to say I've never built a computer before so I'll need quite a bit of help. I have a friend who will help me put it together but he doesn't know a whole lot himself so I need your guys help!

I'm looking to spend around $800-$1200ish but cheaper is always better (not including monitor). I want to make it with good upgradability so i can keep it for a while.

A couple of things I do want in it is a quad core CPU and DDR3 memory.
I have bought one thing only so far and its an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800gtx+ 512mb video card which I paid $180 for at future shop (If I can buy it at future shop its a plus as I don't pay tax there). If you think I should get a different video card just let me know.

Also is buying hardware online at newegg.com or wherever generally always cheaper than buying at a local shop? You'd think with shipping and handling and all that it would add up.

Thanks for the help and sorry for my noob questions. If you think I'm in over my head and buying a pre built computer is a better idea feel free to say so.

Any other questions feel free to ask. Thanks again!
 
A couple forum topics up there is post with a guy asking about his future rig. I'd look at that one and just get a better video card and a different motherboard.
 
Alright, i'll post something tommorow.

With that budget you can get a really good rig.

throne said:
A couple forum topics up there is post with a guy asking about his future rig. I'd look at that one and just get a better video card and a different motherboard.

He started his own thread for a reason, to get his OWN build, not to copy someone elses
 
That's a pretty decent GPU you have. Depends what you want to do with your computer. That card is able to handle Crysis even. I don't know don't flame me for this because I'm not sure but I think no AMD MoBo's support DDR3. I was buying a brand new Phenom with a top MoBo and it dosent support DDR3. So go Intel.
 
Alright, i'll post something tommorow.

With that budget you can get a really good rig.



He started his own thread for a reason, to get his OWN build, not to copy someone elses

Exactly. Thanks any and all help is appreciated. And wow building comps at 14, impressive.
 
Newegg is almost always cheaper than buying from stores. But that looks like a pretty good price you got there on that 9800 GTX+.
 
That's a pretty decent GPU you have. Depends what you want to do with your computer. That card is able to handle Crysis even. I don't know don't flame me for this because I'm not sure but I think no AMD MoBo's support DDR3. I was buying a brand new Phenom with a top MoBo and it dosent support DDR3. So go Intel.

Hmm I did not know that, if thats the case I'll have to go Intel
As far as what I want to do with my comp, I'd like it to be a powerful gaming system (for the money) with good longevity and upgradability. Gaming is going to be the only graphic intensive thing I'll really do.
 
Newegg is almost always cheaper than buying from stores. But that looks like a pretty good price you got there on that 9800 GTX+.

Also is newegg cheaper for canadians as well? It seems to be very american based and I'm just wondering if shipping would be more and if I'd be paying duties or whatever.
 
Newegg is almost always cheaper than buying from stores. But that looks like a pretty good price you got there on that 9800 GTX+.

Agree there.

Also is newegg cheaper for canadians as well? It seems to be very american based and I'm just wondering if shipping would be more and if I'd be paying duties or whatever.

Well newegg is going to Canada - http://www.newegg.ca

Brolly said:
Exactly. Thanks any and all help is appreciated. And wow building comps at 14, impressive.

Yeah, thanks, i'll post it after work.
 
Back
Top