Help a Noob build his first PC :)

HazzaHnoob

New Member
OK...

As my title and name suggest, I'm kinda new to all this...

Over the summer this year, I'd like to build a high end PC. I'm probably going to use it mainly for gaming, and some light image or video manipulation...

I'm currently thinking along these lines...

AMD Athlon II X2 250 processor
Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H
and either 8 or 12GB of RAM...
I'm not sure on graphics or sound cards as of yet, and I've barely thought about cases and power supplies...

So... What do you guys think? Any advice?

Thanks,
Harry
 
Well its underkill on the processor and overkill on the memory.

How much are you wanting spend and are you in the US.
 
Yeah, I knew it was overkill, but my Dad has a stash of RAM I can use :D

I'm not in the US, and at the moment, my aim is around £300 to £500... not including the RAM or any Storage... or a monitor...
 
low end CPU, overkill on RAM.
You won't need 8 GB RAM at the moment. Just down it to 4, and pour the extra $100 to CPU and get Phenom II x4 955/965.
Or you may want to go for intel core i3/ i5.
Case - Grab something with good ventilation
PSU - good brand quality. single video card $60-70 550w, dual video card $100-110 750W
Video card - depends on your budget. I would say 5770/ 5850 at the moment.
Sound card - depends on if you want it for gaming or audiophile. for gaming, probably Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional. For audiophile, ASUS Xonar D2/ HT|OMEGA Claro/ ONKYO SE200

However, I would have no idea what hardware will go for next 3-4 months. Come back to us 2 weeks before you build
 
Last edited:
As I said, cost of RAM is not a concern...

I'll probably go with the Phenom X4 if I can afford it...

Thanks for your help, I'll be back in a few months :)

Any more help still appreciated :)
 
Don't make the mistake of saving on parts that cannot be changed and save on parts that can be added. Get a good CPU and MOBO so you can add to them, RAM can be added for example.
 
Back
Top