[Help] Building my first computer

LewisC

Hi computerforum,

I've decided to build my first decent computer and have started to buy a couple random components. I was thinking of reusing components from my older computer such as the HDD.

My list so far:

CPU TYPE:
Intel
Core i5-3570K

CPU SPEED:
3.4GHz

SYSTEM MEMORY:
Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

HARD DISK:
465.75 GB Samsung HD501LJ SCSI Disk

CASE:
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0064LFTR8/ref=pe_217191_31005151_dp_1)

POWER SUPPLY:
XFX 550W Core Edition Pro PSU

I'm currently looking for a motherboard.
My question is, could you advise me of a fairly priced motherboard that is compatible with these components?
Also, what other components would you recommend I add?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

_Breach

I'd go with this motherboard: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Everything you picked looks good, except for the graphics card. The 8800 GT is an older card and not 100% sure, but the graphics card may bottleneck you in some games.

Also, what is the exact hard drive you have?

You will also most likely need an after-market CPU Cooler if you're planning on overclocking. I'd go with the Cooler Master 212 for the CPU Cooler, don't pick the 212+, it is much louder than the 212 itself.

For the power supply I'd go with this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003M2YQYO/?tag=pcp0f-21

Last edited:

LewisC

Thank you for your reply,

I forgot to mention in the PSU in the initial message (edited)
XFX 550W Core Edition Pro PSU

The hard drive, as well as the graphics card is old as it is from my old computer:
Samsung HD501LJ SCSI Disk

LewisC

Just gaming, nothing excessive though.
Do you think it would be a better idea to lower the power of the other components on par with the GPU? As I am not looking to splash out on an expensive gaming computer.

Maybe replace the processor with something less powerful?

spirit

Staff member
That's a good processor you've chosen there. If you wanted to spend more on the GPU though, you could always get an i3 32xx chip and that'd be a great gaming chip too once paired with a nice GPU.

If you can, the ideal solution would be to keep your 3570K and replace your 8800 GT with something newer and faster. i3 would still be good and cheaper though. :)

swchoi89

Alternative: you can try AMD instead of Intel based products. I've built two gaming systems with AMD processor with Radeon GPUs, and they both work flawlessly in terms of gaming performance.

The reason why I bring AMD up is because if you're not too 'keen' on buying crazy parts, AMD will performance just as well, while saving some money on CPU alone.

LewisC

After reviewing the components, It's a toss up between buying an AMD PSU or keeping the i5 3570k and buying a better GPU.

If so, what GPU would you guys recommend to be on par with the other components.

Also, What do you think of the current HDD, is it worth replacing?
Are there any other components that I should consider buying?

Thanks a lot.