HELP! Computer stttaggering to do normal tasks!

Dormyr

New Member
Hi,

Happy New Year...I haven't posted on here for ages.

My Desktop PC running XP has ground to a halt. It does everything but it's slowed riiight down.

I built the PC last summer so nothing has died. I left the machine on for a couple of days whilst I has running a program and downloading something and it's been so slow since.

Is there something I can do to clean out, or check, without having to reinstall Windows because I really don't want to have to bother.

Would appreciate the help.

Regards,

D
 
I was downloading some software because the version I have was malfunctioning.

I have TuneUp Utilities 2009, PC Tools Spyware Dr and AVG. Everything is working but really slow. I got a warning saying, "Potential Hacker Threat. A hacker could send so many requests to your PC that it...." I don't remember the rest.

I've tried to sort it out since.

The problem is, whatever is slowing down my computer has made it impossible for me to use my Music Programs like ProTools because slowed everything down so much.
 
To elaborate on this...

Whatever the problem is, it seems to affect things like external media. I'll put in a DVD and it does nothing, I can run it through a media player, but it won't initialise by itself. I plugged in my phone and nothing happened, there's nothing wrong with my phone it did it right up till the other night.

My girl friend had a problem with a virus and I posted about it on this forum and was advised...well here's the link:

http://www.computerforum.com/176772-bitch-virus.html

Would doing this help me in this situation because this isn't normal!
 
Just in case you are infected, do the following.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here or here and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download and run Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com but DO NOT reboot the system and then try installing or running Malwarebytes. If Rkill (which is a black box) appears and then disappears right away or you get a message saying rkill is infected, keep trying to run rkill until it over powers the infection and temporarily kills it. Once a log appears on the screen, you can try running malwarebytes or downloading other programs.



Download the HijackThis installer from here.
Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log
 
Ouch!This is one of those viruses which are a real pain.
Try to install good antivirus software in the SAFE MODE and then perform the scan.If that doesnt work,put the HDD in the other PC on which you have the antivirus software then scan the system.
 
Damn it!

The log seems to show there's absolutely nothing wrong:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5618

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

1/27/2011 3:15:35 PM
mbam-log-2011-01-27 (15-15-35).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 144552
Time elapsed: 9 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

What the hell?! My computer is running really slowly! It was fine up till the night I left it on all night, after that it's just been crawling! I really need to sort this out.
 
I just realised what Ccleaner is. I use TuneUp Utilities so I think that's covered.

Here's the log file:


Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 3:56:03 PM, on 1/27/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17093)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCUService.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\EasySaver\ESSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\FsUsbExService.Exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\MouseDrv.exe
C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCU.exe
C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
C:\Program Files\MagicDisc\MagicDisc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dormyr\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dormyr\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dormyr\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Contacts\wlcomm.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dormyr\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R3 - URLSearchHook: SearchHook Class - {BC86E1AB-EDA5-4059-938F-CE307B0C6F0A} - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\AddressBarSearch.dll
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {ba14329e-9550-4989-b3f2-9732e92d17cc} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - {3049C3E9-B461-4BC5-8870-4C09146192CA} - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Real\RealPlayer\BrowserRecordPlugin\IE\rpbrowserrecordplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.2.4204.1700\swg.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DigidesignMMERefresh] C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreativeMouse ] C:\Program Files\Mouse Driver\MouseDrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCU] "C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCU.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISTray] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsTray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Startup: MagicDisc.lnk = C:\Program Files\MagicDisc\MagicDisc.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - avgrsstx.dll (file missing)
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Browser Configuration Utility Service (BCUService) - DeviceVM, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DeviceVM\Browser Configuration Utility\BCUService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: digiSPTIService - Digidesign, A Division of Avid Technology, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Pro Tools\digiSPTIService.exe
O23 - Service: ES lite Service for program management. (ES lite Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Gigabyte\EasySaver\ESSVR.EXE
O23 - Service: FsUsbExService - Teruten - C:\WINDOWS\system32\FsUsbExService.Exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service (McComponentHostService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\2.0.181\McCHSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Nero BackItUp Scheduler 3 - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Nero\Nero8\Nero BackItUp\NBService.exe
O23 - Service: NMIndexingService - Nero AG - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Auxiliary Service (sdAuxService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Security Service (sdCoreService) - PC Tools - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Drive Defrag Service (TuneUp.Defrag) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TuneUpDefragService.exe
O23 - Service: TuneUp Program Statistics Service (TuneUp.ProgramStatisticsSvc) - TuneUp Software - C:\WINDOWS\System32\TUProgSt.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 7885 bytes
 
Don't see anything standing out in the log there. Have you tried doing a system restore back prior to the day it screwing up?
 
You aren't reinstalling windows, all it does is revert the system back to before it screwed up. Not sure what software you downloaded but it could also be the problem.

click start, programs, acessories, system tools, system restore. Then click on a day that is in bold before you started having the issue.
 
I tried to do a System Restore but it said it couldn't restore to that date. It was the date required too.

I don't know what to do, it seems as if nothing's wrong but it's behaving like a clogged up old banger that can't do two things at once.
 
I never installed anything and I've checked for viruses and it doesn't seem like anything is infected that I have on my system.

I tried to do a system restore point but it said it couldn't. I tired to go right back to the date that was a problem, it was the first bold date. I then tried a later date, it's only been since Saturday last, it said it couldn't do that either.

I'm running out of ideas!
 
At a loss now...

I don't understand it. My system has just slowed down. The ASIO engine won't play audio any more, it can't hack it. It should EASILY be able to do that. DVDs aren't recognised, file transfers take ages.

What the £$&£"% has happened. I don't have time for this!!!
 
I've been checking my system to see if anything happened that could have messed things up. I went to TuneUp to check what it had done and basically rolled back all the changes it had made since the day things went wrong.

I remember one of the things it suggested was:

Turn on protection against SYN attacks.

It lists the effects as:

A hacker can send so many connection requests to your computer that it is overloaded and can no longer respond to valid connection requests (e.g. to Internet sites) This can slow down and even prevent your access to the internet.

The ironic thing is that the problems started after I ran TuneUp. I was wondering if it did something that messed up the system. Having said that, it doesn't explain why my computer no longer recognises DVDs.

When I put a DVD in and try to play it the message reads:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Autoplay has stopped working too.

The fact that the ASIO engine can't run music in realtime means that something is slowing down the PC, though I've looked at the CPU usage and those things....I can't see anything that would be doing this.

The only thing I can think of doing at this point is reinstalling Windows, but with everything I'm currently working on, that would take FOREVER to sort out!!!
 
For the heck of it, lets try something. However, you will need to uninstall AVG temporarily so this program can run.

Download and Run ComboFix
If you already have Combofix, please delete this copy and download it again as it's being updated regularly.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Combofix should never take more that 20 minutes including the reboot if malware is detected.


In your next reply please post:
  • The ComboFix log
  • A fresh HiJackThis log
  • An update on how your computer is running

Also please post an uninstall list using hijackthis. Open hijackthis, click on open misc tools section, click on open uninstall manager, click on save list and save it. Then copy and paste the list back here.
 
Back
Top