HELP, connect Desktop to Laptop and additional Ethernet to laptop??

taccess

Hi Everyone,

Can i get some advice if a hub or switch would work for me.

I have a desktop that i connect to my laptop for music production ( my laptop is a slave PC with HDDs etc , i use a crossover cable to connect the desktop to the laptop , and i works fine .

However at the moment on my laptop i use WiFi for internet and it is too slow ,so i would like to connect an additional Ethernet to my laptop so my internet on my laptop is faster , but i am not sure how to do it or if a hub or switch would work and to be sure that my crossover cable and the Ethernet will both work on my laptop at the same time as the crossover connection working between the desktop and laptop , SO is this possible ???

One last note is i dont use internet on my desktop PC , so that's not a requirement.

Any advice is appreciated thank you.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'm assuming you have a wireless modem/router combo?

Why not just connect both devices to that modem/router via ethernet cables?

taccess

Hi ,

I am in a room , my laptop is right next to my desktop hence 3 metre crossover cable between Ethernet port on laptop to Ethernet port on desktop = both computer joined for master / slave work file sharing .

I then have 1 Ethernet cable coming in the room from a apple time capsule = supplying a Internet connection .

There is only one Ethernet input on laptop already being used by crossover cable , I need some way of connecting a second Ethernet cable to my laptop but i am not sure what to use and if you can have a crossover + Ethernet (Internet ) connected to 1 laptop??

Thanks but I can't connect both to the wireless router cause it's in another room and if I run another cat6 cable to the time capsule I am not sure about the speeds ( travelling from desktop 15m to TC then back 15m to laptop ) for file sharing ? I am concerned of latency , I would rather if possible use a hub or anything that keeps the short crossover first .

Thanks any advice is appreciated

beers

Staff member
Just get a cheap gigabit switch and call it done

I am not sure about the speeds ( travelling from desktop 15m to TC then back 15m to laptop ) for file sharing ? I am concerned of latency
You could have each run at 100 meters and still not have a perceptible increase in latency.

Last edited:

taccess

Hi

Thanks , switch it is .

WHICH ONE 10/100 or 10/100/1000 ??? most important for the crossover cable speeds ???

desktop pc is 980x i7 motherboard rampage iii extreme WIN 10

laptop alienware m18x r1 2960xm WIN 10

beers

Staff member
You don't use a crossover with the switch (although you can, if your equipment is Auto MDI/MDIX).

10/100 is a maximum of 100 mbps (~12.5 MB/sec).
10/100/1000 is a maximum of 1000 mbps (~125 MB/sec), but can negotiate at lower rates.

Just get the gigabit one.