Help duplicating PC to TV

Maximus92

Hello everyone,

First time poster, hoping Im in the appropriate section.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 (7k Series, Intel, Windows 10) And Im trying to duplicate my pc' image over to my Sony TV via HDMI, and get the proper resolution. I used to be able to do this on Windows 7, but I cant seem to find the proper setting for it on W10. I feel like I've tried every setting I can think of.. But Im no computer whiz. I would appreciate your help/suggestions..

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
At what point do you not know what to do? You need to go into advanced display settings to setup second monitor/tv. Right click an open area on your desktop and click on display settings, then click on advance display settings.

Maximus92

I have tried that. I have tried changing display settings, intel settings, custom resolutions.. Nothing is working. Either I'm missing something, or for some reason my PC isnt giving me the option.

Ive seen videos of people changing their display settings on their own PC, but mine does not show the same options as theirs. When I have "duplicate/clone" set on, I dont have a "screen 1 box" and a "screen 2 box." Its shown as 1 display with a 1 and 2 in the same box. So if I change the settings, its applys the changes to both my PC and TV. If I choose to extend the display, thats when I get 2 seperate boxes that I can individually change.

Maximus92

Ahh, well if thats the case then that kinda sucks. I know for a fact on windows 7 I could change resolutions for a duplicate display... Had to play around with settings, but it was possible.

Maximus92

So I have extended the display, and my settings are still the same as duplicate. I feel like windows 10 doesnt have as many options to make adjustments, or maybe its my intel chip thats limiting me?

Another element could also be my tv, its a rear projection tv... Doesnt have options like Ive seen on newer tvs.

silv55

So I have extended the display, and my settings are still the same as duplicate. I feel like windows 10 doesnt have as many options to make adjustments, or maybe its my intel chip thats limiting me?

Another element could also be my tv, its a rear projection tv... Doesnt have options like Ive seen on newer tvs.

the problem is not win 10 but your Intel video card that can't adjust over scan. i also have HD intel video card and it's hard to control video from the tv because of over scan,i had Intel hd 2000 video card on my 2 desktops and same issue, i had an extra slot for AGP card, i solved it by buying ATI HD6450 Video cards,now i can adjust over scan with the software provided from Ati.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I know for a fact on windows 7 I could change resolutions for a duplicate display...
If you're referring to different resolutions on multiple screens under "duplicate" mode, your fact is wrong.

What sort of resolutions are you running on your computer monitor and what resolution is on your TV?

Maximus92

Your probably right about that.. I dont remember how I did it, but I was able to set a resolution setting that worked for my computer and tv. Might have been an underscaling option or something.

I tried a bunch of different resolutions, I found the "supported resolutions" for my Intel card, tried all of them.. With no success. My TV is 1080p, and my laptop is 4k so the resolutions even higher. Cant remember off hand.

Is there a program or something I can use instead of using intel/display settings. The card idea sounds cool, but I'm using a laptop and I would rather not have to take it apart.. I only have usb ports and an hdmi port on my PC

silv55

Your probably right about that.. I dont remember how I did it, but I was able to set a resolution setting that worked for my computer and tv. Might have been an underscaling option or something.

I tried a bunch of different resolutions, I found the "supported resolutions" for my Intel card, tried all of them.. With no success. My TV is 1080p, and my laptop is 4k so the resolutions even higher. Cant remember off hand.

Is there a program or something I can use instead of using intel/display settings. The card idea sounds cool, but I'm using a laptop and I would rather not have to take it apart.. I only have usb ports and an hdmi port on my PC

you could try one of these;but first check if your laptop has a USB 3.0 not 2.0, although there are 2.0 usb but for an external video card 3.0 is better

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/external-video-cards