help extending or recieving wifi

KelseyMarie

So I been googling and researching and cant find a answer and I'm on a fixed income and trying to figure this out the cheapest way possible I have 80 to spend....

my parents and me live on same property but separate buildings they have a house and I have a mobile home and there is probably two hundred feet between separating us with walls and a row of pine trees halfway between us when I'm on my porch if I lean over the edge I can get one bar on my smartphone.... so what do I need we have DSL century link with the router/modem they got from them probably 4yrs ago. I need wifi for a computer,xbox one and smartphones

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
80 bucks won't cover what you need. You can bury an ethernet cable(can run 300 feet max) and put a wireless router in your place but as said, its gonna take more then 80 bucks. There are other options but gonna need more money.

KelseyMarie

If i can bump it too 140 will that do the job the xbox laptop and smartphone wont be use at the same time if that helps.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Doubt it. Not sure how much you would need if you went line of sight transmitters/receivers but then the trees would cause problems. Wait for other recommendations though. Can't you get your own internet?

KelseyMarie

Really it reaches my porch with 1bar going true the trees just just needs to go another 20feet so it reaches into my living room... I was wondering if upgrading the modem/router would do its the cheap zyxel unit thats really outdated i think im also on fixed income some i cant add another 120 bill since century link is only dsl provider in the area so they squeeze you

Last edited:

KelseyMarie

I bought the netgear nighthawk r7000 and now I receive internet where I want but out of a 10mbps link I receive 2mbps intermittently is their anyway to boost that ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Trees are blocking your signal. Did you turn those antennas toward your house? 200 feet is quite the distance to cover with a router.

KelseyMarie

well seems my estimation was over its about 100 feet from the router to my place with it moved to the closes wall to my house. probably doesn't help when they only pay for a 10mbps plan .

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Still, you have 100 feet and trees to get around. Wireless from their house isn't a solution for you. Either live with the results or bury a cable and put a router in your house.

Laquer Head

well seems my estimation was over its about 100 feet from the router to my place with it moved to the closes wall to my house. probably doesn't help when they only pay for a 10mbps plan .

Doesn't even matter. Some routers can't even handle 20-30 feet inside the same home, you are way beyond just a simple fix unfortunately.

beers

Staff member
What rssi do you get on your phone when connected from the far side? Usually if you go to an about phone page in settings it will give you a value similar to -100 dBm for signal strength.

KelseyMarie

I just went and bought 250ft of cat5e direct burial cable ill just run it to my place for now and bury it in the spring before the first mow best thing is I have plenty of extra cable if I ever need to run it somewhere else XD

KelseyMarie

well I moved the router to the closest exterior wall which was just one room over now I'm getting 8mbps when their service is 10mbps. I moved it so I could just run the Ethernet cord thru the hole that's already drilled for the dish and wow ... so ill be returning the cable cause really theirs no point in running the cable for 2mpbs... thanks for the help guys :D so for spending the cost of 2months of internet service I'm now able to stream movies,play games, and surf the net...