Help finding a LGA1366 DP Motherboard that supports DDR2

bcomatts

Building a system with 2x Nehalem LGA1366 Quad Core Xeons.

And I can't seem to find a motherboard that will support two of these CPUs and DDR2. All of them are DDR3.

Bonuses I'm looking for, but not 100% necessary, support for:

8 slots of DDR2
SATA2
1x PCI-E16x

Meeting all of those would be amazingly perfect but unlikely.

If I can't find a motherboard to support this I will probably have to take a significant performance hit and go for either 2x Xeon Harpertown LGA771 Quad Core Xeons, or just do a solo Nehalem LGA1366 Quad Core Xeon and spend the extra dough to make it faster.

DDR3 is not an option, as the planned 16gb (8x2GB) of DDR2 800 CL4 is considerably more budget friendly than going DDR3.

The system is for video editing/rendering.

Thanks for any help.

PS, super amazing props if you can also recommend a power supply I will need for all of this.. or even specs would be fine. Thanks.

bcomatts

So then a DDR2 board doesn't even exist?

Can anyone compare DDR3 1600 CL9 to DDR2 800 CL4? That will be the change if I go DDR3, 8x 2gb DDR3 1600 CL9. Just wondering what the performance difference will be. Faster memory yes, but slower clock speeds. I think the CL4 is better for overall performance.. But I should stick with the Nehalem Xeons and not downgrade to the Harpertown.

linkin

VIP Member
There are no DDR2 LGA1366 motherboards because the Core i3/i5/i7 and Xeon processors all have built in DDR3 memory controllers, hence there is no support for DDR2.

You could get 12GB of tripple channel DDR3, it will most likely perform better than 16GB of DDR2, due to higher speeds and more bandwidth, but that can be debated. Maybe look for some CL7 or CL9 DDR3 kits, and i hear 1333mhz is the standard.

As for a powersupply, one of these should be more than enough:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7341023&cm_re=700w_psu-_-17-341-023-_-Product