Help for learning material on C. (Read full message)

eli573

Hello and greetings.
I am looking into learning C, specifically for MS-DOS and Windows text-based command line, and I think that C would be good, as I'm looking into something low level, but not something that too low level, such as assembly, but not something too high level, like QBasic. I am not trying to tell to attempt to fix my bad skills in narrowing down of programming languages, but all I need is the question stated in the title, and what I am about to restate in detail, answered.
I am looking for written or typed learning material on C, that meets the qualifications that I am about to state, of course. I am not looking for anything interactive! I am looking for something used to write the programs them self, not a book from last month about how to download four nifty programs off of a CD-ROM, that format and indents the programs and such, as well as compile them in something that puts a cute little 24x24 icon on it, I just need something on typing or writing the program itself. I can figure out something to compile them in/for MS-DOS or Windows. Any response is treated as a response.
-ET
(P.S. I want the availability for, if I ever choose, graphics, most likely in Windows. I have know idea why I said strictly command-line based programs

Last edited:

eli573

So a compiler and/or IDE then?
Some guys at work like CLion, they said it worked better with cmake. On windows you probably aren't going to have to worry about that though. There were a few others that liked https://codelite.org/

As for learning, I used https://www.amazon.ca/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326965 and thought it was decent.
I meant something to teach me to write the code in the program itself, but thank you for the recommendations on compilers, I also was expecting a something C, not C++, but my thoughts on what I was aimed at learning were pretty loose anyway, as I am somewhat new to this field and was probably asking for a programming language for use with IBM compatibles from circa 1983, but thanks for bringing C++ to my mind, as I might learn this instead. Thank you for responding.
-ET