Help from computer collectors/hoarders?!

RoK Gi Yeon

Hi all!
A friend of mine found an old iomega backup file with the extension .1-Step
After digging around for a few weeks, I am under the impression that what we need to extract it is an older machine (running maybe Vista or Windows 7 or even earlier) that has a functioning Zip drive attached. I have exhausted my searches to try and find someone, so I'm checking the forums to see if anyone out there has such a setup or maybe knows someone who does.
A trillion thanks for any tips at all!

Agent Smith

What you need to do is buy an Iomega zip drive on eBay. Then download w32_iom221a_en.exe from here: http://www.helpjet.net/Fs-30021813-63889532-48092063.html

You might be able to run the software in 7, as that website says it's for 7. But it was originally used in Windows 98se and XP. Maybe even Windows 95. If you try this software in Win 7, I would right click the program and run in XP compatibility mode. I have read that 1 step backup files can be password protected.

If you need to install Windows XP, you can buy XP on eBay and install it to an old laptop on eBay like a Dell D610 or something else older. I had an Inspiron 6000 that ran XP. Still have that laptop actually. Or a very slow, but capable Dell Mini 10 with XP installed should do the trick. Just make sure the auction says it has XP installed.

I have the w32_iom221a_en.exe file downloaded in case you or someone else needs it and that website doesn't work.

Is this Iomega backup file on a computer or something? In which case you don't need a zip drive. Just an old XP-based computer capable of running the Iomega software.