Help Guys My Kid Thinks I'm Stupid

Dorkdad

Hi guys..first of all treat me as though I know nothing lol. I have a feeling my kid has been attempting to hack into my Dell laptop. I have a password set that my sister help me set in BIOS? It's what comes on when the computer first starts. How can I tell if my kid has been unsuccessfully trying to log on? Is there something that will record her keystrokes or attempted password? I think she tries but gives up after a few attempts then tried a few days ago while I was at work. How can I catch her and prove it was her so she won't deny it..help teenage daughter

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There is no way to tell if anyone has been trying to hack in since its a bios/system password. Key loggers only work inside windows and discussion of that is not allowed here.

beers

Staff member
Just make it something reasonably strong (symbols, upper case and lower case, numbers) and they'll never be able to guess it in their entire lifetime.

BIOS/CMOS passwords become cleared if power via the CMOS battery is removed, though (which is independent from your laptop's main battery).

As for 'failed attempts', it depends on your system what kind of events are logged, but that's generally not a feature offered.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Setup a camera to watch the laptop:). Or setup teamviewer on the laptop as an unattended install. Then you can install it on your smartphone and watch to see if the laptop ever comes online. Though this requires you to turn off the bios password but at least then you would know for sure if they are trying to get on. Sometimes it is best to lower the security in the house to catch the kids in the act.

Agent Smith

BIOS password is the easiest option. I've seen desktops log faild attemps, but not laptops. If you want to go one further encrypt the hard drive with Truecrypt. Mine uses the ATA hard drive password which travels with the HDD and is encrypted. Depending on the laptop there are ways past the ATA password, but if you use at least a good 20 character password with Truecrypt your pretty good unless malware is on your machine. If you use TC you need to read the entire manual.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
BIOS password is the easiest option. I've seen desktops log faild attemps, but not laptops. If you want to go one further encrypt the hard drive with Truecrypt. Mine uses the ATA hard drive password which travels with the HDD and is encrypted. Depending on the laptop there are ways past the ATA password, but if you use at least a good 20 character password with Truecrypt your pretty good unless malware is on your machine. If you use TC you need to read the entire manual.
He's asking if he can monitor failed attempts at a BIOS-set password that is already in place to prove they are trying to guess the password.

DMGrier

VIP Member
He's asking if he can monitor failed attempts at a BIOS-set password that is already in place to prove they are trying to guess the password.

Not to mention recommending a unsupported encryption tool anymore which randomly was pulled by the developers after a audit on the code. Yep lets use that tool:rolleyes:

truecrypt may be unsupported and such, but I doubt a child is going to "hack" it.

Anyways, The best way would be to set up a camera.

I have several old tablets and old phones set up with IP webcam, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

and then iSpy which records any movement, http://www.ispyconnect.com/

Both are free, I use the free versions on my machines, It's also very stable, running for weeks at a time before the local power goes out and I have to start it all back up again.

Agent Smith

Not to mention recommending a unsupported encryption tool anymore which randomly was pulled by the developers after a audit on the code. Yep lets use that tool:rolleyes:

After an audit of the code?

The code WAS being audited before the devs said it was "unsecure" and there's a nice long DEFCON presentation with the people who audited the code and talked about when the Devs of TC decided to do that. Never the less the TC code was still audited in two phases. I was following the progress. For the most part everything checks out.

http://istruecryptauditedyet.com/

https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

Learn something today?

truecrypt may be unsupported and such, but I doubt a child is going to "hack" it.

What? It will work on all standard BIOS's not UEFI. For that you have to chose legacy mode and something else I can't remember off hand. There are TC forks, but those have not been audited.

"I doubt a child is going to "hack" it."

I doubt the FBI could "hack it."

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
After an audit of the code?

The code WAS being audited before the devs said it was "unsecure" and there's a nice long DEFCON presentation with the people who audited the code and talked about when the Devs of TC decided to do that. Never the less the TC code was still audited in two phases. I was following the progress. For the most part everything checks out.

http://istruecryptauditedyet.com/

https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

Learn something today?
No reason to be a tool, yes I am familiar the code audit took place before it was deemed unsecure. However let someone who has rebuilt a companies security infrastructure, security policies and training and majored in IT security teach you something about security.

As you said the dev's said it has become "unsecure", so why for the love of security would you use the product? There are some paid and open source encryption tools out there that are actually supported. Any basic google or bing (choose your poison) search will show you where all the Windows users went after truecrypt because it is not a secure encryption to use, security 101 would teach you that.

Now that maybe you have learned something (probably not) lets not high jack someone elses thread, I am pointing out that it is time to find a different encryption to look at and as someone else pointed out to you encryption is not the answer to the OP's question, not even close. So lets calm the A.D.D. and stay on topic.

Agent Smith

No reason to be a tool, yes I am familiar the code audit took place before it was deemed unsecure. However let someone who has rebuilt a companies security infrastructure, security policies and training and majored in IT security teach you something about security.

As you said the dev's said it has become "unsecure", so why for the love of security would you use the product? There are some paid and open source encryption tools out there that are actually supported. Any basic google or bing (choose your poison) search will show you where all the Windows users went after truecrypt because it is not a secure encryption to use, security 101 would teach you that.

Now that maybe you have learned something (probably not) lets not high jack someone elses thread, I am pointing out that it is time to find a different encryption to look at and as someone else pointed out to you encryption is not the answer to the OP's question, not even close. So lets calm the A.D.D. and stay on topic.

You didn't read the audit or GRC's webpage, did you?

Propitiatory encryption is bad news and can't I repeat CAN"T be audited.

The Devs only "say" it became unsecure because either this was a Lavavbit situation or they got tired messing with the TC project. My Spider sense tells me it was a Lavabit situation and someone doesn't want people to use TC.

Now you say you knew the code was being audited before the TC shut down? Then why in pray tell did you say the following:
Not to mention recommending a unsupported encryption tool anymore which randomly was pulled by the developers after a audit on the code.
Try not to back pedal too much on your next reply.

And work on some basic writing composition. I'm not that fantastic, but for real!

Schools out! This tool is sharper than my scalpel.

Last edited: