Help! HD may be dead.......

nightmare1971

Ello there, I don't know if this has been covered before, but I am am having trouble with my Laptop.

I have set the machine back to factory settings and the issue I am having is the laptop keeps locking up and showing the following statement.

Delayed Write Failed

Windows was unable to save all the data for the file C:\documents and settings\andy\local settings\tempory internet files\constant .IE5\45EFOXMF.

The data has been lost.\ This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network conne.

I reset the laptop because I was running Spybot and it changed the registey for some reason and I allowed it to.

So is there a way I can fix this problem, or will I have to get a new hard drive?

I have a new disc with XP on, but I have loaded this but still get the same issue, unless its because I'm not doing a clean install, but laying it on top of the other XP windows?

I hope you can help, as I'm not sure how long this LAptop will work before it locks up again..

Thank you in advance....

Andy..

jdbennet

no its most likely not the hard drive

are you on a corporate network using roaming profiles?
are you using readyboost?

nightmare1971

Hi, thanks for getting back to me, well I have tried to install windows and it wont do it, I did boot the Laptop up from the CD drive and it said I had to format the C drive first, so I tried this as well, but after 40 mins it said the drive was damaged in some way??

So, can you fix C drives or will it have to be a new one?

“no its most likely not the hard drive”

”are you on a corporate network using roaming profiles?
are you using readyboost?”

as for the above queston, as I don’t kow much about computers, I am totally lost here..lol

All the best..

Andy

jdbennet

when you format, dont choose quick format, choose the standard ntfs format
that way it will check for errors

nightmare1971

I tried this last night, and it wouldn’t format, so I tried doing it straight from the windows disc and it said there wasn’t enough space on the file and it needed to format it before it would install it, and about 20% it stopped stating I couldn’t do it as it was damaged.

So do I spring for a new hard drive costing £30 or do I chuck it in the bin and buy a new one?

Thanks for the help by the way….

Andy

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Find out the manufacturer of the drive and download their drive diagnostic utility and burn it to cd and boot to it.

nightmare1971

Hi, the laptop is a Toshiba, and I have tried to find a diagnostic utility for it, but as yet I have had no luck.

I did try using a IBM HD but it has a password on start up, which I used to have, but it doesn't seem to work now, so I have put the old one back in and booted up a new XP disc and it seems to be working, but thats how it has been over the last few days, it works fine, then after 20 mins or so, it locks up, like its thinking about something, then I get the error message stating its unable to save info back to the C:

Should I just splash out 30 quid on another HD?

Andy

nightmare1971

Well fingers crossed, its working after the 5th try of installing windows, but for some reason the Track pad it not working a 100%, movement and the left n right click are working fine, but the scroll isn't, you know when you move your finger down the right hand side of the pad, the page your viewing scolls down, well its stopped working............

Any ideas???

Andy..

nightmare1971

Cheers for the reply, so where will I find this software, as I dont have it on any discs, will I be be able to go to the Toshiba site and down load it??

I should go and have a look, should't I? lol

Andy

jdbennet

toshiba drivers site

synaptics touchpad driver

synaptics themselevs do it, but it wont be customised for your model, so it may not have al the features etc...

jdbennet

toshiba drivers site

synaptics touchpad driver

synaptics themselevs do it, but it wont be customised for your model, so it may not have al the features etc...