Help! HP Laptop problems out of options:(

Cameronpm

Alright so I have an HP g62-340US got it bran new in 2011 for graduation. So it's not that old yet it's so slow I can barely use it iv considered the obvious such as viruses and malware which it has had both in the past, iv reset it to factory settings at least 6 times to rid the CPU of such things since it started acting up a year or so ago and continues to get worse. Iv upgraded the RAM, nothing I disassembled it cleaned the fan and still nothing. The CPU usage will hover around 70-100% just idling on desktop. I can't run any virus or malware scans cuz it always freezes it has a serious freezing problem I'm out of ideas not a commuter guy at all rly either so anybody able to give me some pointers or what I could replace or what's wrong with it? Much appreciated thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check the cpu usage with task manager to find out what process is using it and let us know.

Cameronpm

In which tab? In the processes tab it has bunch if programs but all at 00 few flicker to a 1 or 2 for a sec it doesn't appear that anything is primarily using all my CPU usage

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you click on the box that says show processes from all users. Then click on the cpu usage column so it sorts it from high to low usage.

Last edited:

tylerjrb

Alright so I have an HP g62-340US got it bran new in 2011 for graduation. So it's not that old yet it's so slow I can barely use it iv considered the obvious such as viruses and malware which it has had both in the past, iv reset it to factory settings at least 6 times to rid the CPU of such things since it started acting up a year or so ago and continues to get worse. Iv upgraded the RAM, nothing I disassembled it cleaned the fan and still nothing. The CPU usage will hover around 70-100% just idling on desktop. I can't run any virus or malware scans cuz it always freezes it has a serious freezing problem I'm out of ideas not a commuter guy at all rly either so anybody able to give me some pointers or what I could replace or what's wrong with it? Much appreciated thanks!

Have you tried re-installing windows?

70% is very high just for an idle speed.

Cameronpm

Of course, when I reset it to its factory out-of-box state it automatically reinstalls windows and as for the CPU usage tab in task manager taskmgr.exe is the top item on list topping out at 02. Any other ideas? I'm out of them

Cameronpm

Physical memory usage reads about 2gb I have no idea if that's good or bad I have total 7930 physical memory 1716 cached 5848 available and 4254 free if any of that info helps

Cameronpm

Ok now I think I have something CPU usage under the correct tab now top lister is "TrustedInstall" using 50 then "SystemIdle" which is 48 all others are 1s. And 00s what do those mean?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Trusted install is windows installing updates. The best thing to do would be to change settings to update manually then download all updates available and then set it to automatic update.

Cameronpm

Updating does no good it freezes before anything significant downloads. And I'm sure there's plenty of ways to help my CPU run "not as slow" but I wanna find out what's all wrong with it so I can fix it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You said trusted install was using the cpu correct? Trusted install is actually windows update installing updates automatically. Did you stop all the bloatware from running at bootup?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look at the image below. Open task manager, click on the processes tab. You will see where I have checked where it says "show processes from all users" at the bottom, that is very important to do that. Then click on the cpu column so you get the little down arrow on top of cpu. That sorts it from highest to lowest. System idle process means that my cpu is 95 percent idle. Only 4 percent is being used by my pale moon browser. Now do the same thing and let us know what process or processes are using up the cpu, ignore the system idle process.