Help i think i fryed my mother board

merick

i had my computer at the shop i thought it was the power supply but the guy said it was the mother board so i got a new mother board put it in started the computer it booted up then about 3 min later i got this nasty smell then the fan changed speeds it went high than it just quit i have no display but the power comes on

merick

i did look at the board i cant see anything wrong could the power supply cause this and how can i tell

Saurian

Take it back to the guy. If you just got it "fixed" then its his responsibility. Even if he doesn't technically offer a warranty, even a crappy computer store will cut you deals on parts if they go bad like that, or offer cutrate labor or something like that.

If its a good shop, they'll do it just for your continued business.

Dan081

Just try again, a similar thing happened to my dell pentium 2 where it burned up, so I unplugged it, let it cool for a couple of hours, tried again, and it worked, don't spend money you don't have to spend. If not there could be a problem with the power supply, or something is making it supply too much power. I would have the power supply checked out.

Last edited:

stiffinger

You could take the cover off of the psu and see if the capacitors are clean. If any are discolored, smoked, fluid substance around them then it is shot and has to be replaced. Slide a piece of paper under the mobo tines to see if any are touching the case.

Aastii

VIP Member
Sounds like PSU rather than mobo.

if it is mobo, it will probably still boot after cooling and if it is burned to the point of not working, you will most probably be able to see some kind of burn or popped capacitor. If you don't see that, my bets is on the PSU

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just try again, a similar thing happened to my dell pentium 2 where it burned up, so I unplugged it, let it cool for a couple of hours, tried again, and it worked, don't spend money you don't have to spend. If not there could be a problem with the power supply, or something is making it supply too much power. I would have the power supply checked out.

You could take the cover off of the psu and see if the capacitors are clean. If any are discolored, smoked, fluid substance around them then it is shot and has to be replaced. Slide a piece of paper under the mobo tines to see if any are touching the case.

Sounds like PSU rather than mobo.

if it is mobo, it will probably still boot after cooling and if it is burned to the point of not working, you will most probably be able to see some kind of burn or popped capacitor. If you don't see that, my bets is on the PSU

Uhm... this thread is over 3 years old.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So what. The problem existed and folks gave a remedy. Everyone is trying to improve the problem solving here.

Well, we don't like users resurrecting old threads. If the thread was only a few weeks or a month old maybe, but not over 3 years, thats just common sense.