[HELP] Irregular Boot Sequence

DCM

Hi there,

Below I have listed my hardware which I currently use:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
GFX: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 570 (PCI-E)
MB: Asus M4A78-E
RAM: 4096MB DDR (Ocz Generic)
(I think this covers the major details - ask away if there is something else you need.).

Problem:
This only started to occur when I purchased the CPU, GFX and MB. I had a situation in January regarding my quad monitors, etc etc, I am now with this set-up and this problem that has been here since the change in hardware.

I can't even fix the CPU Fan error and it is connected to my CPU_Fan1 or w/e on the MB according to my manual. So I have disabled it entirely in my BIOS, and it is now gone.

Problem two is that when I turn my computer on, it takes me about five to seven shut-downs before I get to XP 100%.

This is what generally happens:
I shut down before I go to bed. I wake up and press the power button.

The computer will start off by giving me a No Hard Disk Detected, Please restart and enter disk.

I will press the restart button. The next problem will be the computer enters the XP logo and goes into an infinite loop under the logo.

I will press the restart button. I will then get past the XP logo, the XP logon screen shows up, the mouse moves, but the rest of the computer is frozen and the red light on the case is lite requiring me to reboot again.

Now this problem doesn't seem to occur anymore however I used to be able to get into XP, open my programs that I run right away and then my computer would freeze while the mouse would move and the red light in the front was on. This seems to be gone now after I just reboot over and over. Was still annoying.

I don't know what causes this problem as I have never had it before, and I do know it didn't start until after the new MB, CPU and GFX hardware was installed.

I cannot go back to the old hardware as my old CPU is dead and I am not buying a new one just to play around with that when clearly everything is fine as soon as I reboot 900 times.

Anyone ever heard of, or had this issue before?

Michael

I had a similar issue with one of my old desktops awhile back, it ended up being the HDD.

I would download the appropriate utility for your brand of HDD (e.g; Seagate has SeaTools, Western Digital has Data Lifeguard Diagnostic, etc) and test your HDD. If for no other reason, than to eliminate the HDD as the culprit.

Good luck!

DCM

I ran several of the diagnostics on my Seagate (OS drive) and my Western 320s also passed many tests.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the same hard drive that had the old install of windows on it? When you replace the motherboard you need to do at least a repair install of the OS in order to make it work correctly, or a fresh install is actually preferred as all hardware is different now from the previous motherboard.

DCM

Actually, yes, this is the same hard drive that I used on the old hard ware. I did not re-install Windows, I just took all the old components alas the new ones and put them together and booted.

A reinstall has been in the mindset just because I like to do that every now and then, however I am curious as you say, to do one now and see if that fixes things. Is that a certainty or a possibility?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to do a fresh install or repair install whenever switching motherboards, there is no way around it. However if you are getting an error because of the cpu fan supposedly not being connected, I would rma the motherboard for a new one.

DCM

Well that didn't do anything as it just took me 9 reboots to get to XP. Got the Can't read a disk error three times in a row.

Any other ideas before I start looking into this mb.. could sata cables have anything to do with it?

robina_80

did you do what john b said re install windows on HD also it may not help but reset bios maybe? you do this by taking out the battery and changing the jumper on the cmos pins also you could try updating the bios?

DCM

My computer now just freezes the second I sign in with my red light on the case completely illuminated. I also had 14 "A read disk error occurred" error this morning before I got to XP.

craneop1985

I would think it's still the hard drive-----I had a seagate that passed all the tests and still failed a week later---best to back up your data and do a fresh install on a new drive.but that's just my opinion.

DCM

The great thing is, this HDD is straight-up my OS drive. I mean, everything on it is just applications. It is just that this is annoying, heh.