Help Me Build My First Comp

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

This computer building is really hard. I am home sick today and doing a lot of thinking and research. DX10 is coming out soon. So is Vista ( well mabye it is coming out in like october). DX10 can only run with Vista, right? Then what are the DX10 cards going to do when they first come out in mid-year.Are they going to have DX9 on them? Also how much is the equivilant of a 1900XT DX9 going to cost in DX10?What I am basically asking is should I wait for DX10 to come out and then get Vista when it comes out or just stay with the sytem I have listed. Also AM2 chips. Should I wait for these to come out. The Optys are not being made into AM2 chips so I would have to get an X2 which would be more expensive and less good. But then again you always want to get the newest interface when buying a new PC so you can upgrade later. Could you give me some advice.

LITHIUM

you don't NEED that good of video card. you could get a 7800GTX (nVidia) for 230$ and it will run all those games on max settings

Rambo

Encore4More said:
get better processor worse video card

Why should he do that? I think they are a great choice! Especially the Opteron 165. Dual core, and much cheaper than an X2.

I think that's a great system waiting to be built. Although, I remember posting in this topic ages ago, and now I see it's on page 9! :D

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

LITHIUM said:
you don't NEED that good of video card. you could get a 7800GTX (nVidia) for 230$ and it will run all those games on max settings
Were is this 7800GTX you speak of for 230$. Plus I think the images produced by ATI are way better than Nvidia, much smoother.

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Rambo said:
Why should he do that? I think they are a great choice! Especially the Opteron 165. Dual core, and much cheaper than an X2.
I think a lot of people think Optys suck because they think they are reliable but slow server proccesors. The Opty 165s are really sick chips and can compete with nearly all of the X2 line overclocked. Given you would have to overclock it exremly to catch up to a 4800 X2 but it can definatly compete with a 4200 X2 4400 X2.

Rambo

5u1c1d47m0nk3y said:
I think a lot of people think Optys suck because they think they are reliable but slow server proccesors. The Opty 165s are really sick chips and can compete with nearly all of the X2 line overclocked. Given you would have to overclock it exremly to catch up to a 4800 X2 but it can definatly compete with a 4200 X2 4400 X2.

Exactly! Also, it's an easy CPU to overclock, people are easily getting 2.4 Ghz with it! And coupled with that DFI board you selected, it'll be a great OC!

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

Specs

Revision 4

Case - 119.99
NZXT Lexa

PSU -109.99
Enermax Liberty

Mobo - 129.99
DFI LANPARTY Ultra-D

Hard Drive - 87.00
Seagate SATA 160GB

Video Card - 534.00
HIS Hightech 1900XT

RAM - 169.00
G.Skill 2GB

Processor - 325.00
Opteron 165

OS - 99.99
Windows XP

Other Asorted Goodies - 14.72

Total Price (Inclu. ship.) - $1696.13

5u1c1d47m0nk3y

kjkiller said:
i would still get a bigger hard drive, and whats the total

160 is plenty for me I don't store much on my computer except games, word docs, and a litle bit of music.

Edit: How lond till DX9 is obsolete and all major games use DX10 to run nice.

Last edited:

Rambo

5u1c1d47m0nk3y said:
160 is plenty for me I don't store much on my computer except games, word docs, and a litle bit of music.

Edit: How lond till DX9 is obsolete and all major games use DX10 to run nice.

I would imagine when DX10 is out that they will start to code games for use with it. DX9 will probably be able to play the same games, but just not very well. It'll probably become obselete about half a year into DX10 being released? Although, that's just a guess and it isn't founded on pure factual evidence...

EDIT: The HIS Hightech Radeon X1900XT has a $40 M-IR. In your last list you mention the price being $534. Bring it down to $519 ;)