Help me build my first PC (Not gaming)

dannymiami

Hello guys,

I have always used pre-built PC's like Dell Asus ect. I have now decided to build my own Desktop Pc. My PC will not be used for gaming. It will be used as my stock/options/commodities trading PC. It will be on 24 hours a day. It will be running about 4 automated programs (doing multiple calculations). I will have 4 monitors connected to it (24"-27"). It has to be reliable. Need to have a fast hard drive. Needs to stay cool. I am not sure if i need intel or amd processors? i need a reliable hard drive and quality components. My budget is approx $1000. (I already have the monitors - they are all HDMI's). I can do i5 but i would like to go with i7. I was told by a good friend of mine to use dual xeon processor older HP or Dell T5400 and upgrade it as they are super reliable.

Any input will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks guys !

If you've never before built a PC ... it might be best to have a local computer shop build it for you.
I looked into that a year ago and it's likely worth it if you're buying something that is not immediately available from Dell, HP, Asus, etc.

But before making that decision you'll need to decide upon your needs ... and then see whether such is available off-the-shelf.

Most of your stated requirements are mundane. Not special at all ... except for maybe one thing: the compute load. Are you currently running those financial programs? If so, I'd plan the next computer based upon the load that they present on your current box.

As for reliability ... I'd go for a Dell/HP/Asus before a home-built machine.

And as for performance, I'd skip the fast hard drive and get a big SSD.

After owning nine desktop computers over the past twenty years (7 Dells and 2 HPs), the only failures were one RAM card (a rarity, but under warranty), one HDD (infant mortality, under warranty), and one PSU (six or seven years old).

The only reliability factor you need be concerned about is the HDD. And if you use an SSD you'll not even have that worry.

Cisco001

If you go self-build, something like this
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($298.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB OC Low Profile Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($56.21 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1001.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 12:03 EDT-0400

I don't know what monitor have you got, you probably need a displayport to hdmi cable if you go for solution above.

OmniDyne

If you go self-build, something like this
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($298.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB OC Low Profile Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($56.21 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1001.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-07 12:03 EDT-0400

I don't know what monitor have you got, you probably need a displayport to hdmi cable if you go for solution above.

I don't know what you think about this Cisco, but the Ryzen 5 2600X is about $100 cheaper, with similar performance.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700/3956vs3940

My recommendation is to build one from scratch, using the help provided on this forum. 10 years ago, I built 2 desktops, with help from here, and I am now just replacing them. The help you get is fantastic, and while it might be frustrating at first, the satisfaction will be worth it. I was a complete novice (not that I'm much better now), but I was still able to build them. This site is full of experts that are more than willing to help. The way the Cisco posted info, is actually the easiest way for you to begin. After something like that is posted, wait a couple of days to look at the feedback provided from other seasoned veterans. I do not regret building from scratch at all and I would HIGHLY recommend you go that route. Once the parts come in, it might take a couple of days to put everything together, but again, use the info here. Good luck!

Cisco001

I don't know what you think about this Cisco, but the Ryzen 5 2600X is about $100 cheaper, with similar performance.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700/3956vs3940

OP asked for intel?

Knowing the fact that OP may not be familiar with building PC himself, going for Ryzen 5 2600X mean going for X470 motherboard (to avoid flashing BIOS if B350 with old BIOS), X470 start from $120.
So the real difference is a 12% faster PC (according to benchmarks you link) with extra $50 spending.

OmniDyne

OP asked for intel?

The OP didn't explicitly ask for Intel, he mentioned a dual Xeon setup, and the i5/ i7 family.

The OP even asked if he should go AMD or Intel.

Knowing the fact that OP may not be familiar with building PC himself, going for Ryzen 5 2600X mean going for X470 motherboard (to avoid flashing BIOS if B350 with old BIOS), X470 start from $120.

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813157761?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

Ryzen 2000 series ready. No BIOS update required, and is compatible with the 2600X.

Also, the GTX 1050 only has 2 HDMI ports.

It has a DisplayPort and a DVI port. This may be a compatibility issue.

@dannymiami

Do your monitors have any ports besides HDMI?

Last edited: