Help me buy a laptop :)

andy faith

it really depends on what you need to keep on there in terms of the hard drive. as for the graphics cards, not sure personally but the GTX is considerably better

dubs89

Alright for the Hard drive: at home i currently am only using about 60 Gb of space however once i upgrade from that geforce4 ti4600 and 512RAM things may change in terms of what my computer can support :), On a avergage how much space do you guys use?

At for the video i am clueless on what to choose as of right now...

dubs89

Yea, I have never seemed to need over 60 gigs either so that decided the hard drive :) now i just got the damn video card to ponder about...

When it askes about the internet IU want can i just select none and use my home internet right? (there not installing anything that enables the laptop to be compatable on the net right?)

Jabes

banned
Yea, I have never seemed to need over 60 gigs either so that decided the hard drive :) now i just got the damn video card to ponder about...

When it askes about the internet IU want can i just select none and use my home internet right? (there not installing anything that enables the laptop to be compatable on the net right?)

I have a 500 gig hard drive (actually 465 gigs) and I have 316 gigs free) and I just built my computer in august but I have a lot of videos on it

and for the internet thing you can just select none and use your internet u have now

dubs89

hmm, i dont watch movies on it so that shouldnt really be a problem... i think i got almsot everytihng figured out now :)

IS there anytihng else that i should know??

Also thank you all very very much for the help it is awsome here!

luckyedboy66

I thank you for your replys:

Do you know the average FPS you get with each cards? or perhaps a estimated % on how much beter the GTX is?

Should i go with the 80 gig and use a external or is it actuly that much beter to have a 100 - 120 gig harddrive?

i linked to this site before, but this should help give a comparison between the two: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

internal is way better than external. pack as much space as you think youll need internally, then get an external if you think you need it.

dubs89

Thanks for the link.. dont know how i missed it :S

I agree internal hard drives are much beter, but i think that things like videos belong on a external :)

luckyedboy66

Thanks for the link.. dont know how i missed it :S

I agree internal hard drives are much beter, but i think that things like videos belong on a external :)

right. i have a 120gb internal, and i was running low till i unloaded all my movies and torrents to my spiffy new external HDD.
as far as the GPU goes:
core speed:
go 7900 gs- 375
go 7950 gtx- 575

thats all according to the site i linked.

Last edited:

ride3k

why don't you look at alienware?

they sell a c2d lappy thats better equipped with no custom parts bought for cheaper than the lappy your trying to put together fyi. My computer was 1600 and it screams, i have not had any lag in any games with all settings max, thats with bf2142, stalker, wow, etc.

just my 2 cents

dubs89

I have read that alien is quite the rip off.. Is this not true about their laptops or somthing? Also what is the C2D i cant seem to find it on their website..

as far as the GPU goes:
core speed:
go 7900 gs- 375
go 7950 gtx- 575

Seems like quite the diference...

luckyedboy66

I have read that alien is quite the rip off.. Is this not true about their laptops or somthing? Also what is the C2D i cant seem to find it on their website..

Seems like quite the diference...

alienware is owned by dell, but that makes no diffrence. C2D = core 2 duo. its a dual core processor made by intel. by the way, why dont you post all the specs for the computer so we can drool.

dubs89

-Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz/667MHz/4MB)
-4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMMs
-160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
-256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS <<<OR>>>> 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

ride3k

ok, buying the same laptop from alienware is CHEAPER. dell over prices their xps models. And buying any prebuilt desktop is a rip off, 99% of the time its cheaper to build yourself. Besides 4gb of RAM is useless unless you have a 64bit OS