Help me buy the best PC for $2000

HunterDC

Best PC for $2000? Help me decide

Rodbrazil posted a request for help deciding on a new computer and he is getting a lot of help, I hope you all can do the same for me.

I am looking to buy a new Desktop and have approx $2000+ to spend (of course it always nice to save some money but I can go higher if its worth it). I have never built a computer and am inclined to buy from an online site which allows you to select components.

I am looking for advice on what components I should get, based on cost vs effectiveness and my personal need.

I plan to use the computer for the following tasks (in order of importance to me):
1. Use it as a media center to watch&record tv, watch DVDs, play music and to maintain/organize my media files for my iPod video and PSP.
2. play games like Quake, Call of duty 2 etc.
3. Burn DVD's (lightscribe).
4. Surf the net and download tons of stuff.

I have been looking at the following computers (Alienware Area51-7500 and 5500, Dell XPS410, HP Media Centers, and just recently CyberPower PCs) but am unsure of what components I should be getting. I have my own ideas on a few things that I am leaning towards (Intel E6600 or E6700, 1 to 2GB memory, 300-500GB harddrive set up as RAID 0, Windows MediaCenter, Single TV Tuner w remote, and Dell Ultrasharp 20" or 24" widescreen monitor) and I have no idea for others (Video Card, Sound Card, motherboard, whatever i am missing). I'm not sure if what i have is good or if its overkill.

Any and all help/advice on what components to get and what site to use to put the computer together is appreciated.

Thanks
Hunter

Last edited:

Iluvpenguins

It really would be better to build yourself...but if you want one from sites,Dont buy a dell,for god sake,please dont buy a dell

HunterDC

Having not built a computer before I am a bit intimidated by the thought. I understand that I would save $$ but with my lack of experience/knowledge i'd rather not screw up something as important and expensive as my new computer.

JFHuff

Well if youd rather not build it yourself id go with the alienware. And if you do go with alienware make sure u get it before dell gets there hands to deep into it. Im waiting for dell to start messing with alienware like they do there own pc's. I agree dont go for the dell. I see your best performance coming from an alienware pc.

jimmymac

VIP Member
i'm sure some people have had a bad experience with dell but at the end of the day they are one of the market leaderse for pre built systems for a reason, in general (i.e. 95%+) of the time they come good and offer excellent prices on pre built.

Alienware is ridiculously overpriced, although the systems on the whole are very nice they are way above what you could be spending on a system.

Building yourself is the best option, theres plenty of guides about on how to do it and plenty of help from people here to ensure it goes to plan.

If you really are set against building yourself then dell is worth a look and i'm sure some other suggestions will come from other members here

JFHuff

I have 2 dell computers. One is a family computer which weve had for 2 years and the other is mine i bought just 3 months ago. Ive had a lot of trouble with both of them from the beggining.

-Wireless networks have trouble connecting between dells.
-Dell itself messes with everything inside the case making it virtually imposible to use the motherboard or case again except for with one another.
-They make it imposable to do any configuration hardware wise.
-Minimal expansion slots and the case dosent support anything besides whats in there already.

Again Alienware might be a little overpriced but ive seen them as most often very reliable and there very good quality for the money. I still suggest that building your own pc is much more practical. You can get more for your money and its really not hard. All in all its your call.

jimmymac

VIP Member
yet on the flipside i have owned 2 dells, one desktop and one laptop and found them to be perfectly fine, three years service out of the desktop before deciding on a complete cahnge and a laptop thats perfectly happy at them moment.

The desktop i was able to cahnge things when i needed to, added wireless card to it, added another hard drive to it, eventually added another dvd writer and put extra memory in it, not sure how much more expansion i really needed to do with it

Its all swings and roundabouts at the end of the day, but dell are at the top end of sellers for a reason as i said before, they must be doing something right.

JFHuff

My theory on why there the top seller: (since thats so important right??)

Yes i admit they used to be good. Thats how they got to be so big and everyone knows them. And to tell you the truth most people who dont know much about computers probably think dell is the only thing out there. Most of the other companies hardly do any advertising anymore. Its a shame. But now that dell is the leader and have been for so long they start slacking in certain areas. It works the same way with everything. When the leader has been the leader for a long time and have noone even close they start getting comfortable in the position and then they dont keep the exact same quality of service that got them there. They start thinking how can we make more money. So they cut some services that the customers really enjoyed.

If some of the other companies started to come back colser to where dell is then dell would turn around and offer better service. Like the service that got them to the top selling postion in the first place.

JFHuff

And dell does mess with the components in there case. have you ever tried putting there motherboards in another case. There is no case it fits in. Same thing if your old motherboard is shot and you need a new one. Theres no replacing it unless you buy a whole new dell computer. They make there motherboards so they only fit with the case it came in and nothing else can fit in the case.

And with dell i fixed the problem with it. Dell wouldnt help at all. I had to call dell 7 times just to have them try and fix the problem. They refused to do anything so i tested around with everything and i found out the ram they had in it was shot. And since they refused to replace it (even though i have a 1 year hardware warranty) i went out and bought another set just to get the stupid thing to work for me. Now it works fine and i have linux instaled and am using it as a music server.

Jet

VIP Member
Using the configurator for Dells has already gotten over $3250 with measly 667Mhz ram, or you can pay $4000 for Alienware :)

Jet

VIP Member
I guess you'll be better building. However, it will still be a good $3000 with everything if you don't scale down some. the total for this is $2669:

Intel E6700
Gigabyte GA-965P DS3
G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2800
2x 250GB hard drives
7950GX2
24" Widescreen LCD
Soundblaster X-fi xtrememusic
PC Power and Cooling psu (lol, $200)

I'd suggest dropping to a X1900XT, lower PSU (under $150), and a E6600

HunterDC

Thanks for the help. If I go with a company I will use Alienware after hearing from everyone. But since they seem to be on the expensive side, i'm also going to look into building my own computer. I'll at least read up on it and see if its over my head or not.

I know that this means I can get better components for my money but I only want to spend the cash if its worth it. ie: only upgrade in those areas that are worth it for what I plan to do with the computer (see my first post in this thread).

Jet and others, if I choose to build, what components would you recommend? Would they remain the same or would you advise other ones?

Hunter

JFHuff

really, building your own isnt to hard. The build that Jet suggested looks good. Remember that if you have any questions while building just post it up here and well all be glad to help.

Dr Studly

banned
Having not built a computer before I am a bit intimidated by the thought. I understand that I would save $$ but with my lack of experience/knowledge i'd rather not screw up something as important and expensive as my new computer.

its easy... even if u have no clue what you are doing... there is a guide with pictures on the site that even gives u step by step picture instructions...

i'm sure some people have had a bad experience with dell but at the end of the day they are one of the market leaderse for pre built systems for a reason
and that reason is Marketting...
Marketting is terribly underestimated...

jimmymac

VIP Member
its easy... even if u have no clue what you are doing... there is a guide with pictures on the site that even gives u step by step picture instructions...

slate dell all you want in this thread, at the end of the day their complaints ration is just as low as anyone elses. Why are they highlighted more? because they sell a damn sight more.

They all have targets to attain and are monitored throughout this.

I'm not advocating dell as the greatest manufacturer, i'm saying people will have bad experiences with a company and it odesnt mean they are shite at everything.

I've had terrible experiences with sony, do i think there a useless company, no, I realise that i was just unlucky enough to be in a bad situation with them.

JFHuff

well were all glad ur the new spoksman for large companies. In any case....building the best option to go with since we all can agree except for the one guy who insistes that every company is wonderful. If not you have many choices and they all have there good and bad points. ibuypower.com isnt a bad choice though. Thanks to YEA_PC_PHONICS for that suggestion. I compleatly forgot about them. You might want to go check them out as another option.

tweaker

VIP Member
Encore4More said:

No matter how good the marketing is you can not sell crap, at least not for a longer period of time. People loves to whine about how bad the Dell computers are, but the fact is if they were half as bad as these people say, they would be out of business.

If your looking to order 200 machines to your company, where do you turn for the best deal?