Help me find a good 24" Monitor

AUTOBOOT2000

Why do you suggest that?

Do you even know what colour deficiency is!? You're about as much use as a chocolate dildo!

It means you can't see certain levels of the color spectrum such as not being able to see the color green or it's shades or combinations.

Ethan3.14159

It's like your arguing with a retarded monkey, Danny. He doesn't understand your from a distant, possibly make believe land.... UK, pfft :p

I really like that Dell you picked out. It's true 16:9 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080), instead of 16:10 (1920 x 1200) If your watching an HD movie with a 16:10 monitor you get those annoying black bars on the top and bottom. I would suggest the last Samsung, Dell, or the Acer, it's really just personal preference. The Dell was the only one I saw that specified that it had an HMDI port for 1080p, the others might, but I didn't see it.

Last edited:

PunterCam

Well I can say from experience that the acer 24" thing will be fine. I've got that, but without the 'b' on the end, and it's completely fine. I thought it was a touch harsh at first, but either I've adjusted to it or it's mellowed out.

The dells and samsungs will be lovely. I've only had limited experience with samsung monitors, but every single one I've used has made an annoying "this is about to explode" high pitched sqeak, but I haven't used one for years.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/ET.FV3WE.003_ET.FV3WE.003/version.asp Bought mine from here, decent service and decently cheap.

Kornowski

VIP Member
^ He never mentioned how he would ship it

For the price, I'd narrow it down to these three:

That one looks awesome, Thanks a lot for the suggestion! :D

It's like your arguing with a retarded monkey, Danny. He doesn't understand your from a distant, possibly make believe land.... UK, pfft :p

I really like that Dell you picked out. It's true 16:9 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080), instead of 16:10 (1920 x 1200) If your watching an HD movie with a 16:10 monitor you get those annoying black bars on the top and bottom. I would suggest the last Samsung, Dell, or the Acer, it's really just personal preference. The Dell was the only one I saw that specified that it had an HMDI port for 1080p, the others might, but I didn't see it.

I know, what a tard, Eh! I really like the look of that Acer that Omar suggested. Wouldn't 1200 be better though, as it's a higher res?

Well I can say from experience that the acer 24" thing will be fine. I've got that, but without the 'b' on the end, and it's completely fine. I thought it was a touch harsh at first, but either I've adjusted to it or it's mellowed out.

The dells and samsungs will be lovely. I've only had limited experience with samsung monitors, but every single one I've used has made an annoying "this is about to explode" high pitched sqeak, but I haven't used one for years.

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/ET.FV3WE.003_ET.FV3WE.003/version.asp Bought mine from here, decent service and decently cheap.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the help. I think that's pretty much settled it!

I didn't even see that one to begin with, so thanks again, guys!

Rambo

What kind of panel are you looking for? VA or TN? TN panels are the cheapest, but also (in my opinion) worst quality...

Kornowski

VIP Member
What kind of panel are you looking for? VA or TN? TN panels are the cheapest, but also (in my opinion) worst quality...

Erm... I don't really know. Just a 'standard' monitor? I don't really know that much about 'em. At the moment I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 920N, something like that, I guess. But bigger.

Rambo

Erm... I don't really know. Just a 'standard' monitor? I don't really know that much about 'em. At the moment I have a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 920N, something like that, I guess. But bigger.

Ok, well, your 'standard' monitor is probably going to end up being a TN panel. These have smaller viewing angles compared to [M/P]VA panels, but usually have faster response times (although I doubt you'd notice the difference). It's a shame my 24" monitor is not for sale any longer. It's a decent VA panel (like those found in the BenQ FP2421W) in a cheapo chassis - got it for around £230 from OcUK... I'll look around for something similar.

Do you want HDCP?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, well, your 'standard' monitor is probably going to end up being a TN panel. These have smaller viewing angles compared to [M/P]VA panels, but usually have faster response times (although I doubt you'd notice the difference). It's a shame my 24" monitor is not for sale any longer. It's a decent VA panel (like those found in the BenQ FP2421W) in a cheapo chassis - got it for around £230 from OcUK... I'll look around for something similar.

Do you want HDCP?

Well, to be completely honest, I have no idea about monitors, so everything you just said went straight over my head :eek: lol

HDCP? That's the HDMI port isn't it? I guess, so I can run it in HD?

Thanks, Tim!

Rambo

Well, to be completely honest, I have no idea about monitors, so everything you just said went straight over my head :eek: lol

HDCP? That's the HDMI port isn't it? I guess, so I can run it in HD?

Thanks, Tim!

Lol - ok. Response time (measured in milliseconds) is just how long it takes for a pixel to go from black => white => black (it's also measured from gray to gray too). Generally speaking, the manufacturer will choose whatever is quicker.
So, if you had a long response time, videos with rapidly changing content can sometimes 'smear' or look like it's blurry. It's not really much of a problem nowadays as most monitors are < 8ms so it's really hard to notice any artifacts.

Viewing angles (well, pretty self-explanatory) - the widest angle you can look at a monitor from the normal position. In TN panels (your current LCD monitor will probably have one) the viewing angles are fairly poor (in comparison to VA panels). You may have noticed if you move your head up/down/left/right that the colours on the screen begin to invert once you move beyond a certain angle.

With my monitor, I can practically look at it from above at 175 degrees and the picture will not change (all colours remain the same). I'm guessing that has to do with the technology behind VA panels - but I don't really know much about that.

HDCP is a technology developed by Intel (sort of like DRM for music). It's not a digital output, but it applies to DVI/HDMI/etc outputs... Basically, both your graphics card and monitor must support HDCP if you plan to play Blu-Ray or HD-DVD protected content on your computer.
I do believe there are ways to circumvent this technology, but I don't really think that would be in keeping with the forum rules... :p

Edit: and now I'm going to bed. I have to be up in < 6 hours...