help me here plssss....

Status
Not open for further replies.

danny_e

i got a problem... my friend just gave me a dead laptop, compaq presario 2700. first, i changed the motherboard, then hard drive. but nothing happen... the fan won't spin, the cd won't eject when i hit the eject button, the reading light doing nothing... i already plug it at the outlet... but still i didn't change the processor.... if the problem is CPU, why the fan wont spin and the cds doesn't eject... do you have any idea what's the problem??? pls help me here :( :(

Last edited:

Super_Nova

Disconnect everything from the board except the CPU, RAM, and cooling fans and connect to an external monitor. If it gets a picture start adding each component until it stops working again. The last component you added before it stopped working is the problem. If the laptop was hit by a power surge one of the internal boards, like a modem or nic could be shorted. I've had a laptop not boot before because of a fried modem board. make sure no wires are crimped when you put it back together. Is there no activity what so ever? like no lights at all when you plug it in? Or does the light come on but nothing happens?

danny_e

there's a light but nothing happens... still the fans won't spin and no picture... do you think it's a CPU problem???

Last edited:

joelkyr

Prolly dead PSU, test your PSU, without connecting any hardware, how? get a 3" wire, from your 20 pin power connector there is a green wire(theres only one green wire), attach one end of the 3" wire to the green wire and the other end to any black wire of your 20 pin power connector( jumpstarting your PSU without turning on your PC) attach a fan on any 4 pin molex and see if it runs. :)

danny_e

joelkyr... thnx but i don't get it... sorry... i don't know what PSU means and about the wire... if you don't mind, can you explaind it again... thnx a lot

Super_Nova

The computer he's asking help for is a laptop. If the light is coming on then the power supply is ok.The other responces on here assumed you were talking about a desktop. Make sure you put it back together correctly also. Where abouts in the world are you from?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
PSU = power supply unit, but don't worry about it, I didn't realize a 2700 was a laptop, I though it was an older compaq desktop model

danny_e

yeah it's a laptop... well guys... do you still have any idea what's wrong with my laptop??? do you think it's a CPU problem??? if CPU problem.... why the fan won't spin and the cd's won't eject??? are this units related to the CPU???

Last edited:

Super_Nova

I'm not sure if it's a CPU problem. It may be thatt your new motherboard is either defective or that it was installed incorrectly. I don't think a bad CPU would keep the CD from ejecting. Sounds like its not getting power. The fan only spins when it's needed though, it doesnt spin all the time. Make sure everything is connected to the motherboard correctly and remember those tiny ribbon cables are very dellicate. I got your ICQ but I accedentally closed it before I could respond.

danny_e

ohhh.... how about the CPU fan... it's not spinning too when i turn it on... dou you have any idea how to test my motherboard because for me, i connected it right but some part like the cpu fan doesn't have any screw... is that alright??? and by the way... one ground wire on my lcd was broke, is that alright????

joelkyr

Super_Nova said:
The computer he's asking help for is a laptop. If the light is coming on then the power supply is ok.The other responces on here assumed you were talking about a desktop. Make sure you put it back together correctly also. Where abouts in the world are you from?

in that case my apology :D , but shoulnd you be posting it on Laptop and Handheld Computers section :rolleyes: , and dont worry NOVA, I live in the same world as you are.

ecomp401

I dont kno if a brocken ground wire is something serious, i would assume so, especialy if you have it pluged in, if you dont have a ground wire then it would be quite easy for the computer to fry itself...

danny_e

guys... good news. when i removed the CPU and turn on the system, the fan is spinning, the cd has power and the hard drive is running. then when i put the CPU nothing happens... do you think its the CPU?? if it's the CPU i'm starting to buy one at ebay... what do you think???

Super_Nova

It's very possible. That ground wire doesn't sound good either. I wouldn't normally think the cpu would cause such problem but if you get that effect I'd definatly try a CPU. Still could be the motherboard though.

danny_e

Praetor said:
what did you change it from and to?

laptop PSU . battery?

well we don't live here ya know.

like I inferred . . we're not here at beck and call

what a great reply but it helps me nothing...

ian

Administrator
Staff member
this thread is terminated, danny_e I would suggest going elsewhere for help, oh yeah and reporting a post to an administrator, complaining about an administrator is a waste of time.
People here offer up information voluntarily, they are not paid, so it would be wise to be more considerate and patient when requesting help from others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.