Help me identify a plug from my case.

CaptainTrips

Help me identify a plug from my case to my motherboard.

(I tried to change the subject line to "Help me identify a plug from my case to my motherboard. for clarity, but it didn't seem to work.)

I just bought components for a new build. I've been assembling it after an external build was successful, but I've run across something that isn't covered in the case instructions or the motherboard manual.

http://imgur.com/hRpUbKK,mrQsaw3#0
http://imgur.com/hRpUbKK,mrQsaw3#1

It's a 3 pin plug that comes from the front part of the case where the power button/USB jacks/headphone/microphone/etc are. I have no place on my motherboard where this could be plugged into. I don't want to miss out on a feature, does anyone have any idea what it is?

My motherboard is this an ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
My case is a Corsair Carbide Series 500R Arctic White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case

Thanks in advance for advice!

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
It looks like a male 3-pin fan connection for one of the case fans, but typically those are female. Are all your case fans connected?

CaptainTrips

I'm at University right now, so I can't tell you in all my fans can be connected. I have two front fans that are powered via a molex connector, a rear fan that plugs into the motherboard, and a side fan that I have not hooked up yet. I didn't see any power on the motherboard for it, or I am just not remembering if it had power for it.

I don't think it's for a fan, but the case does have a fan controller on the front if I remember correctly, so maybe it's for that, and my motherboard just doesn't support it? I'm fairly certain it has to do with something on the front panel. I guess I will have to finish my build and see what works and what doesn't.

Also, another question about fans. My rear case fan is only a 3 pin, however my motherboard supports a 4 pin fan. Is it OK to just put the 3 pin fan on the 4 pin jack? It's keyed, and the plug slid right on easily.

Thanks for the reply, and great username. I have a WRX too. I love it.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the 3 pin will work on the 4 pin connector. The 4th pin is for speed control.

Okedokey

I think you'll find you plug power into that, and that distributes power via the fan controller to fans.

CaptainTrips

I think you'll find you plug power into that, and that distributes power via the fan controller to fans.

I think you're right. I just finished cable management and found two more that had plugs in them snaked though the back/inside case. I guess it's a mystery as to what that stray one does, since I have nothing to power it with, unless I unplug one of the others and plug it into the stray. I think I'll go that route only if something isn't working.

CaptainTrips

Mystery solved. It was the very last thing I plugged in, and only because it matched the front case fans and the plug wouldn't go on a fan power jack on the motherboard did I figure it out - the case's huge side fan. Plugged it into a special power cord that game with the case from the PSU. Works fine now.

Last edited: