Help me interpret this (am i buying a good computer)

Pollce State

Looking to get a computer that can handle the newer games and also do several tasks at once while video/audio is playing.

I found a refurbished computer website but can't interpret the stats very well cause I'm not knowledgeable about computers.

Can you tell me if this is a quality computer? If not what is it missing, what needs upgraded, etc?

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-180t W7HP-64 i7 950 3.06GHz 2TB SATA 9GB DVDRW(LS) 1GB NIC WLAN 5-in-1 Rmkt PC

Thanks!

JackMcHale

First of all welcome to the forums!
these guys have helped me build a kick-ass computer that runs EVERYTHING for about 850 bucks, so keep that in mind. (i did not have to buy a monitor)

what graphics card is that computer running?

the i7 is awesome but the i5 2500 has been rated better for gaming as far as i remember.

the 950 is a good processor. im running a 955.

Pollce State

1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6450 [DVI, HDMI. VGA adapter] is what i keep getting when i google the computer itself, but I'm not sure.

It opens at 8am tomorrow i will call then and be sure of the video card. What is the least acceptable one to run all of the current games?

JackMcHale

im not honestly sure, i know my 6770 walks all over new games.
a 6950 laughs at everything lol.

you can always google the benchmarks of that card. it will tell you what fps you will get playing certain games.

for instance

Google.com

Hd 6450 1gb crysis benchmark

That should bring up a few links to the benchmarks for that particular game.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I really wouldn't be buying a refurbished computer especially if your a gamer. What games will you be playing? If you are interested in BF3 then minimum is a 6850 or gtx 460. You will be getting a better quality machine if you get one built for you.

CrazyMike

I personally use this site as comparison: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

But i also look up every card that i am considering and compare the good reviews with the bad.

From what i have seen the 6450 is an "Ok" video card. I would look at upgrading the video and processor personally. Would all depend on how much cash flow is afloat.

I personally love the NVIDIA cards GTX 580 is what i am looking at. As for processors, the newer intel processors are pretty intense than the older ones. Just look at the 2600K vs the 990x. The best thing you can do is research different reviews and compare.

Pollce State

I really wouldn't be buying a refurbished computer especially if your a gamer. What games will you be playing? If you are interested in BF3 then minimum is a 6850 or gtx 460. You will be getting a better quality machine if you get one built for you.

I'm not a huge gamer i just like being able to play RTS games against the computer and be able to run stuff like huge battles on the Total War series without a problem.

My budget is around 700, but i have no idea how to go about getting one built for me.

thanks for the advice guys!

JackMcHale

you could build one yourself using the guide on this site. I did that and i did just fine. my only hickups were forgetting to plug a power cable in lol, and getting a dead video card from newegg (who of which has issued a refund for me)

jonnyp11

if you build it, although you'd prob go with a slower processor, it would be plenty fast and would game way better than that an dream plus way better quality.