help me make a decision...keep my desktop or buy a new notebook?

n2k21

New Member
I bought a new desktop in january 2007 (so it's still fairly new). HP Pavilion m7580n: 2GB of memory, 320GB hard drive, 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor.

I had limewire up and running on this computer ever since I got it, and I'm guessing that limewire is the source of trouble because just recently, my computer's internet stopped working completely. (we have 2 computers hooked to a router, my internet doesn't work, the other does.)

Should I keep this desktop and spend more money on it to fix it and use it in college (I'm going to be a freshman this fall) or should I buy a new notebook?

Thanks in advance!
 
Easy to fix for the virus, etc.

Won't cost anything.

Pls do the following:

If after that you are still infected, please post a Hijackthis log. To post a Hijackthis log, please do the following:
Click Here to download HJTsetup.exe


* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
* Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
* Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
* Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
* Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
* At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
* Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
* Come back Paste the log in a new post, using Hijackthis in your Subject bar
* DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.


We will look at your log as soon as we see it, and give you further instructions on how to fix your computer. Most of the time it will involve downloading more programs that will either give us logs to locate the malware or delete those malware.

Once you have posted a HJT Thread DO NOT make any changes to your PC unless the advisor helping you has instructed you to do so!
 
cohen: Thanks for the help! I'll follow you instructions, but should I transfer my personalized information on my computer (pictures, itunes) to a portable memory thing (sorry for the lack of a better..noun) just in case?
 
cohen: Thanks for the help! I'll follow you instructions, but should I transfer my personalized information on my computer (pictures, itunes) to a portable memory thing (sorry for the lack of a better..noun) just in case?

OK, Yes it is best to back it up.

I'll wait for the hijackthis log.
 
Cohen: Mmkay, I did everything you said and titled a new thread 'Hijackthis' with all the information copy and pasted. Hate to be redundant but thanks alot again:)
 
Back
Top