Help me Pick a card

Tuffie

I am pretty sure that a single 8800 GTX would out perform two GTS's, and if you go with a single GTX you can get a second GTX later..

Kent.

ducis

I am pretty sure that a single 8800 GTX would out perform two GTS's, and if you go with a single GTX you can get a second GTX later..

Kent.

nope 2 GTSs beat 1 GTX:)
I'm 1000% sure and ive got benchmarks to prove it

elitehacker

Even IF the two GTSs does beat the single GTX, I don't think it would be by a very huge margin. You would have to factor in the cost of the rig, and the power that it consumes. The on-going maintenance costs is what people usually neglect when purchasing new hardware. I would definitely go with a single 8800GTX card.

elitehacker

I think you shouldn't rely on games that have a bias for comparison. I'm talking about games like Doom 3 and Half life 2 that has a bias towards Nvidia and ATi respectively. There are optimisations in the game code that benefits one of the companies.

eric92park

I think you shouldn't rely on games that have a bias for comparison. I'm talking about games like Doom 3 and Half life 2 that has a bias towards Nvidia and ATi respectively. There are optimisations in the game code that benefits one of the companies.

Well, I have to agree, but i am just making a point because he said 1000%...

hermeslyre

VIP Member
From all i've heard two gts's are generally better than one gtx. But I think buying one GTX would be a better decision

eric92park

From all i've heard two gts's are generally better than one gtx. But I think buying one GTX would be a better decision

Yea, people know that if you buy 2 GTS, your stuck with it unless you buy 2 GTX, but if you buy 1 GTX, you could always upgrade it just by buying another GTX...

elitehacker

One GTX is better than running two GTSs in slim, there is no question about it once you take all the factors into account.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
http://www.hothardware.com/articles/GeForce_8800_GTX_and_GTS_SLI_Performance_Update/?page=9

I believe this is an 640mb version.. but for all purposes you can consider it the same as a 320mb unless gaming at higher resolutions. A 320/640mb 8800gts will beat one 8800gtx at a 1280x1024 res. Most people who own a GTX or SLI GTS will be gaming at a higher resolution however so in this circumstance a SLI 320mb will bog down terribly.

But like shown here a 640mb 8800 GTS SLI setup is more than capable of beating a single GTX at Even a high resolution. (how many times did I say that word?)

A GTX is still the better choice as everyone has said.

GrungyHobo

Ok I might go with smaller cards and get more RAM, so which is the better deal 2 BFG 7950GT 512MB or the BFG 8800GTS 320MB?