Help me! Please (Computer lock up)

Royrog

Hello all, a strange problem here but please help before I throw the lot out of the window!! :confused:

I have had my computer since July 2005, I built it my self and had no problems with it at all. This Christmas gone I bought a new case and also another XFX 6800GT graphics card so I had an SLI system (the same card as my other one), as well as this I bought another two sticks of 512mb RAM so I had 2GB (4x 512mb sticks all exactly the same)

Since I have put all the new bits together my system just locks up, but here is the strange bit….

When the system locks up in Windows (usually after about 15-30 minutes) it just stops, it does not restart and I do not get any blue screens it just stops dead. When I am on a game and this happens I get this really high pitched noise that comes through the speaks. Suspecting the sound card I looked around on some forums and found a lot of posts on web sites saying that it could be a common problem with the Audigy 2 sound cards (Squeal of death they call it) So I took my sound card out and it still froze.

After this I tried the RAM, I took the two sticks of 512MB out that I had put in for Christmas, and it still froze, so I then suspected one of the graphics cards.

I took the one out and the computer worked perfectly, no lockups at all. I then thought that the second card might be faulty so I tried that on its own, again it worked perfectly!!

SO IF THE TWO CARDS ARE FINE WHY IS IT FREEZING?!?!?!?

I can’t see it being a power problem or heat problem because like I said, it works fine after a restart once it’s froze.

I have started to think that it could be the SLI bridge, or the card selector chip on the motherboard, but what do you think??

Any help would be extremely helpful thanks :)

suprasteve

according to what you've said, sounds like you're right about the problem (at least something mobo related), the only thing I'd try if you haven't already is updating or reinstalling all the drivers and things that the sli system needs if it needs something special, don't have one so I dunno if they are different or not, maybe look in bios to see if there's any options there that could cause anything

myPCrocks

My thoughts is the Vid cards having a compatibilty issue with each other. Do you have the latest driver for the board and video cards ? If not update them. And check for an updated BIOS.

Royrog

Thanks for the quick reply’s peeps! :)

First off, I have tried reinstalling the graphics cards and the problem remained, I have also reformat Windows a good few times and it’s still the same.

I am using the most recent Nvidia drivers (Version: 81.98), as far as I know there are no special drivers for SLI only the normal drivers. I have also looked in the BIOS and there is one SLI setting but I have fiddled about with that and the problem still occurs. :(

As far as Mobo I don’t have the most recent chipset drivers, or the latest BIOS, but have the latest graphics card drivers. Before I reformatted my computer I did have the latest BIOS and chipset and the problem still occurred. I will update the chipset and BIOS again though its worth a try I suppose.

And finally “Viking” I don’t think it’s a power problem, because after the computer freezes and I restart it runs perfect, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know

Thanks for the reply’s, I ll let you know a bit later what happens, I am off to update everything now :)

Royrog

Bad news :(

After updating my BIOS and chipset drivers it is still happening!!

I was just enjoying a nice game of UT2004, was on it about 10 mins then it froze with that bloody high pitched noise coming out of the speakers :mad: :mad:

Going back to BIOS settings there are two SLI settings in the BIOS for my motherboard, they are;

EZ Plug warning and
SLI Broadcast aperture.

Anyone know what they are or do?

Any other suggestions?
Please help :confused: thanks

Marskib

are you sure that you have sufficient cooling in hte pc for both GPU's? If i ever forget to turn the fans for my laptop on it locks up and turns off aswell.

Royrog

Thanks for the reply!

The one GPU does get a little hot (70-80c) I have 2 80mm case fans, that’s all but my CPU temp is normal (40c) its only the one GPU that gets a little hot. But why would it work perfectly after a restart? If it was a heat problem surely it would continue to freeze?

:confused:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When the system locks up in Windows (usually after about 15-30 minutes) it just stops, it does not restart and I do not get any blue screens it just stops dead. When I am on a game and this happens I get this really high pitched noise that comes through the speaks. Suspecting the sound card I looked around on some forums and found a lot of posts on web sites saying that it could be a common problem with the Audigy 2 sound cards (Squeal of death they call it) So I took my sound card out and it still froze.
Full system specs please. Include vDimm, vCore, rail stability, PSU make and model etc

SO IF THE TWO CARDS ARE FINE WHY IS IT FREEZING?!?!?!?
Cuz its not getting clean power.

I am using the most recent Nvidia drivers (Version: 81.98),
There's 83.90 for W2K/WXP and 87.15 for Vista but I wouldnt reccomend anything other than 81.98 :)

And finally "Viking" I don't think it's a power problem, because after the computer freezes and I restart it runs perfect, but if you have any other suggestions please let me know
That doesnt mean the power isnt an issue :) While we're at it, have RivaTuner monitor the voltages on the videocard :)

If it was a heat problem surely it would continue to freeze?
Suppose there is a problem with one of the voltage regulators ... suppose it fails to deliver clean power afrer 80C ... so you're playing and the temps go to 80C and the voltage gets dirty ... after a few minutes the videocard says screw this .. you restart the machine ... in the time it takes to boot up, the videocard cools down enough to drop the temperature of the voltage regulator below 80C. Not saying this is the case, just a possibility :)

Viking

take the side cover off and run the pc. after the pc has run for awhile , very carefully touch the heatsink. It should be just slightly warm , it should not cause discomfort from being too hot.

if you should need settings for your mainboard, go to the manufacturers website, in downloads or support ,you should be able to download a pdf manual.

I still think it could be the power supply.

Royrog

Thank you for you replies people, sorry for the late reply, I kind of give up on here :eek:

I will try and get the info about my PSU some day this week, I have been really busy today so not had time. :(