Help me please

kristiqn

I had a lot of dust in my computer so i decidet to clean it. I unpluged some wires then wiped the dust and carefully vacuumed it with vacum cleaner(without touching anything, from a distant) then took of the processor carefully and changed it thermal paste, after that i plugged everything in place and i was sure everything was ok because i had done it before. I pressed the Power button but nothing happened then i looked if i had forgoten some wires but everything was on place. I tested the power button and it was working , i tried to connect the green and black wire from the power supply to check if the problem is in it and it Turned on and started the computer , but the button wasnt working. I checked the Reset button and it wasnt working too then i tried to touch the pins with screwdriver to start it but it didnt start. Anyone knows what could be the problem ? Thank you in advance

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Since power button and reset button don't work can only assume you somehow removed the wires from the front panel connector on the motherboard. Is this a custom built pc or store bought? If custom what motherboard do you have? If store bought, what model of pc is it?

kristiqn

Hi i had removed the front panel but everything was plugged in there, my pc is custom made it has asrock h81m-Vg4 motherboard , im writing here because i tried everything possible but nothing helped

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Hi i had removed the front panel but everything was plugged in there, my pc is custom made it has asrock h81m-Vg4 motherboard , im writing here because i tried everything possible but nothing helped
Again, your front panel connectors that plug into the motherboard are probably unplugged.

They look like this:
image031.jpg

kristiqn

I havent unplugged them when i was dissasembling and they are plugged but not working i tried to touch the pins with screwdriver but nothing happened

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So motherboard won't turn on at all even when jumping the pins? Verify 24pin main psu cable is securely attached along with the 4/8 pin cpu connector. Otherwise its possible motherboard failure due to static electricity or perhaps if cpu was removed, it was put back in wrong. Also, try building the pc outside of the case to verify no shorts between case and motherboard.

kristiqn

Is it possible that i did put wrong the cpu bcz i changed it's thermal paste and not 100% sure that i put it correctly and when i connect green cable with black from the main cable from power box the computer turns on with the processor

kristiqn

Yeah but i have no idea what can be the problem my pins are on the motherboard not on the procesor and i think it can fit in two ways,but i think i put it correctly and i matched the triangles

Intel_man

VIP Member
The only real damage you can do to a cpu installation is applying too much pressure or if the cpu wasn't completely aligned with the socket causing the pins on the socket to bend. Very unlikely but possible.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Your computer should still power up even if you FUBAR'd the CPU.

Again, make sure the PSU cables are plugged in correctly (24-pin ATX and 4/8 pin CPU)

kristiqn

I checked all the pins and they werent damaged everything is connected as it was when i bought it but the buttons dont turn the pc on where might be the damage reset buton and power button arent working i thing there should be some other place to search

beers

Staff member
-_- of course it is

We're really reaching deep here since there are only a couple of dependencies for making this work:

1) PSU 24 pin to MB
2) PSU 4/8 pin EPS to MB
3) Front case button to correct header pins
3b) PCI-E GPU power if applicable
4) Power connected to mains from PSU (including switch to ON)

Otherwise you broke something else when you were dusting it out.

Origin Saint

I unpluged some wires then wiped the dust and carefully vacuumed it with vacum cleaner(without touching anything, from a distant)
200.gif

Seriously. You'll screw something up inevitably if you keep that up.

Beers last post has about everything that could be causing this problem, so if none of those things are the issue, I'd say you officially killed it.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I would never directly vacuum dust out of the computer. What I normally do is have those compressed air canisters to blow the dust out of the area, and have the vacuum hose sitting just outside the case picking up the dust that just got released into the air.

Protip. Wear a mask.