Help me think of a name for my program?

BixbitSystems

Hello!
I am ready to make a all-in-one social networking client, but I cant think of a name for it! I already made SocialMe but I don't really like this name because the number of results in Google is about 407,000.
I would like a name like SocialDesk, SocialDeck, SocialBox, SocialTray and other things like that but all of these listed are taken:mad:.

If anyone would have any good ideas it would be help full.:)
:confused:PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:
Regards!
13 yr old vb.net 2008 home learning college student (1yr) programmer, founder of Bixbit-Systems - bixbit.webs.com, socialme.codeplex.com & bittweet.codeplex.com

zombine210

are you saying you don't want anything searchable?
don't use anything common, think like twitter, yahoo. u know something weird, but easy to remember. make it catchy

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL you wrote the entire programming code and the NAME of the program is representing the problem to you? ROFL xD

Name it however you want lol.That is the easiest thing in programming lol xD

kobaj

VIP Member
LoL you wrote the entire programming code and the NAME of the program is representing the problem to you? ROFL xD

Name it however you want lol.That is the easiest thing in programming lol xD

I think this is the situation in reverse, he is coming up with a name and has yet programmed the thing :p.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
I think this is the situation in reverse, he is coming up with a name and has yet programmed the thing :p.

Hahaha yea you are right.But I have never seen a programmer to who the problem was to make the NAME of his/her OWN program lol.Who cares how it's called.It's important that it works lol.

carnatic

I think from a marketing standpoint, something 'cute' will probably appeal the most, and unusual so that it stands out. Firefox is a perfect example of this. How about drawing on the 'social butterfly' metaphor to create something memorable including the word 'Butterfly' rather than the word 'Social'. Or perhaps go one step further and look at names including 'Chrysalis' or 'Caterpillar' as these are things that give rise to [social] butterflies. People will know what it means, it's clever, it's cute and it's colourful.

And I disagree with the above poster, I think name and branding are very important. It's the face and personality of your creation. If you go to all that trouble designing it and then call it something like 'Social Networking All in One Client' people aren't going to be half as interested.

Here are some thoughts:

ButterflyMe
Social Moth
Social Caterpillar
CaterpillarMe

Last edited:

hyperfire

Flutter sounds good. The only problem is that it sounds a lot like twitter and may be assumes to be an imitation of twitter by some.

I don't think you'll get to below 500 results with any simple catchy name. It would be much better to come up with a catchy name that doesn't have massive amounts of competition and then not rely on search engines as your sole point of advertisement.

It's hard to name something without knowing much about how it works. Facebook for example was based upon a paper-based system which was literally a book of faces.

When you say client do you mean an interface that links you to the other social networking sites?

BixbitSystems

Thanks for all the suggestions.

SocBox (i like it) - 26,600 results
ButterflyMe - A bit too long and has nothing to do with social
SocialMoth - i like it very much but there already is a website socialmoth.com
SocialCaterpillar - a bit too long
CaterpillarMe - again not social & a bit too long
Flutter - good but over 9,180,000 results (a bit too much don't you think?:))
Uniting, Merging or Entangled - about 13,800,000 results

ALL of these suggestions are fantastic - I especially like SocBox but it has too many results. Maybe something to do with animals like SocialHawk (there is socialhawk.com by the way) or something like that. I also like the post from "carnatic" - very intelligent. I also thought of HawkMe or HawkFire (too similar to Firefox) - but still a bit too much results. Why I don't want that much search results? Because I already made a program BitTweet and now it is in the top place in Google because there were only 100 results for it.:)

BixbitSystems

I mean client as in for example Twitter client like TweetDeck or BlogJet for blogs. AND YES I have thought about SocialJet al ready taken - socialjet.com. ALL THE GOOD NAMES ARE TAKEN!!!!!!!!!

BixbitSystems

People!!! What about SocialTank ? This has 1,300 results and non of 'em are to do with anything social like that. There is socialtank.com but its empty - I would rather like .org anyway!!!! Please comment!!!!!!!!

hyperfire

People!!! What about SocialTank ? This has 1,300 results and non of 'em are to do with anything social like that. There is socialtank.com but its empty - I would rather like .org anyway!!!! Please comment!!!!!!!!

SocialTank sounds good to me. It certainly seems to meet your criterion of low search results. Have you tried this on other search engines? Google is certainly the most popular but some people still use BING (shudder) et cetera. Bing comes up with 18,600,000 results for SocialTank.

BixbitSystems

Yeah, thanks but Bing comes up with ALL the web pages that have social & tank on 'em while Google tries to put them together a bit more - of not why is there difference?