help me with my motherboard and psu

joseandres

hi im planing to buy a gtx 1050 ti 4gb for my computer it is a lenovo m82 SFF it came with an i7 3370 aa lenovo mahobay motherboard and 1 tb hd wich runs at 7200 rpm . the psu is about 200-240 w the problem is that there is no info about my motherboards and speecy says it has currently all of its pci e slots in use. i want to build a gaming pc but my budget is low thats why im going for a 1050 ti. i will keep the processor and i want to buy new ram(16 gb) could be 8x2 or 16x1 and the gtx1050ti my questions are

do i need an atx mobo for what i want or its okay to go for an micro atx wich are cheaper?
do i need to change my psu? or my sff case? cuz the gtx 1050 ti its relatively small and only uses 75 w with no external conector.
if a change my case do i need a mid tower or its ok a mini tower?

thx and sorry for bad english but english forums offer better answers

Attachments

• Captura.JPG
    Captura.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 5

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If that is the slim form factor then you will only be able to use low profile video cards. Might want to double check. Those SFF towers are bad for gaming really. You'll have to change your power supply to at least 430 watts but don't think you'll find one for the SFF. Might have a problem switching cases too.

Can you sell this and get something bigger?

Laquer Head

If that is the slim form factor then you will only be able to use low profile video cards. Might want to double check. Those SFF towers are bad for gaming really. You'll have to change your power supply to at least 430 watts but don't think you'll find one for the SFF. Might have a problem switching cases too.

Can you sell this and get something bigger?

Is the 600 from corsair the same form factor? or are those pre-builds a proprietary size?

Laquer Head

Was just looking at that one myself which would work for him providing dimensions fit. Won't know until we get model number of current psu. But I think he would be looking at space issues in regards to a bigger video card.
Yeah, I think that a full-size gpu is going to more be the issue.

I was really pleased with the 600w units we used.. the kids love the machines and we ended up putting gtx 1070's inside them.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, just checked its a TFX unit. But if he is wanting to game, this machine isn't for him, he should sell it and get something better.

mistersprinkles

Aren't most stock 1050's just 75W cards though that don't require PCIE power cables? And as such, won't most OEM systems accomodate them with the stock PSU?
We should be looking at the specs of the OP's PSU before we dive into recommending anything drastic.

Darren

Staff member
Aren't most stock 1050's just 75W cards though that don't require PCIE power cables? And as such, won't most OEM systems accomodate them with the stock PSU?
We should be looking at the specs of the OP's PSU before we dive into recommending anything drastic.
Ehhh... kinda on the edge. With an i7 in there and it only being 240 I'd want to get a better one. However that case is low profile only so you're pretty limited for GPU's.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-towers/m82-sff/#tab-tech_specs

mistersprinkles

Oh so we know it's 240W? Well... CPU+GPU (I'm being very generous here) would be maybe 170W. That ;eaves 70W for motherboard, RAM, and drives. Assuming it has one mechanical drive (I haven't checked the specs) that's maybe another 40W there. 50 at the most.

So yes it would be right on the edge but I think it would work. Just barely.