Help me with my new maxtor HD

Paranoid

Hi all. Well I bought this hard drive 2 days ago. It has 80 GB. What I want to do, is to separate this 80 GB into partitions. And I want to have 2 operating systems, Win98 and WinXP. I cannot install WinXP withoud Win98.

My trouble is in making the partitions. I tried the FDISK command, but it doesn't show me right amount of total space I have. It says 12600 MB instead of ~76 000 MB.

I'm totally confused, please someone help me.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot install WinXP withoud Win98.
And why not?

FDISK was designed around much older technology (i.e., FAT/FAT32) and will have problems (if not outright not support) with NTFS partitions which are more of the norm nowadays
1. During the WindowsXP install you can do your partitioning in a clean little interface
2. After you install WindowsXP: Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Removeable Storage ... and there is a mini Parition Magic

Paranoid

Well, my WinXP cd won't automaticly start installation. So I HAVE to install Win98 first.

Is there is a way of partitioning after installing Win98?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my WinXP cd won't automaticly start installation. So I HAVE to install Win98 first.
Boot off the WindowsXP CD (ideal) If you cant then file a complaint with Microsoft. :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
remember.. If you want to have 98 and XP on the machine always install the older version of Windows FIRST.

If you install 98 after XP has already been installed, the XP partition will not be able to see the 98 partition.

computerdude2004

Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot off of the CD. You should be able to install only XP that way. Just insert the XP cd and start up the computer.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
HAHAHAHHAHAHA
Whats so funny? MS deals with this stuff with surprising speed.

If you install 98 after XP has already been installed, the XP partition will not be able to see the 98 partition
Dont you mean the 98 partition wont be able to see the XP partition? (and this only applies if you use NTFS)

i think all of the XP CD have auto start ability
If they are legit :)