Help my computer Freezes

mangosteen

I just bought this computer and I'm having alot of problems with it. It usually freezes when it is installing something, or loading up something. A good example of where it freezes, 9/10 times, is on a game called half-life (the 1st one) when i connect to a server everything seems to load up fine except for the last part just after it precaches everything and then boom, freezes right on the last step "parsing game info". it also freezes on this game once i exit. soon as i close it Boom, freeze. When it freezes there is absolutely no response from anthing. Everything locks up, ctrl+alt+del will not work. when this computer freezes it's like, All you can do is press the reset button. Another instance where it froze lots was when installing windows SP2 and installing windows itself. I thought this problem might of been attributed to my OS because when i first tried installing windows XP Professional my 200GB HDD read only as 131GB. I'm told this problem is due to my OS being too outdated and my OS is one of the earliest versions of windows XP prof. I managed to fix that problem. I thoguht if i got the SP2 it might fix the problem but it didn't.
These are my specs
================
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4GHz) Socket 939 512K
MB = MSI K8N NEO-4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra chipset 939 PCI-Ex16
Ram = 2x 512mb PC3200 400mHz 184pin DDR OCZ
CDRW = Pioneer DVR-109 internal 16x16 DVD
HDD = Seagate 200G SATA
Vid Card = eVGA 6800gt PCI-E 256mb
PSU = Enermax 485W EG495P-VE w/ Noise taker

lynx6200

Is this a computer you built and put together yourself? If so, double check all your connections and make sure everything is securely plugged into place and all the wiring is good. If it one your ordered, from like dell or something, they will usualy provide tech support on the phone. Anyway, try going into safe mode, and running disk defragmenter, hopefuly that will solve some problems.

randruff

personally, if its freezing, i would tend to lean towards this being an overheating issue....let your computer run for awhile and then hop in half life....if it freezes, when you restart go into bios and check the temp of the cpu. could be that when it starts being "used" it quickly overheats. any other ideas?

mangosteen

I checked the temps and voltages in bios and this is what I got

System Temp 35C/95F
CPU Temp 40C/104F
CPU Vcore 1.47V
+3.3V 3.31V
+12.0V 12.28V
+5.0V 5.21V
Battery 3.02V
+5VSB 5.15V

Also when it freezes sometimes you can hear like a static type of sound replaying over and over again. Its not the sound that was currently playing at the time it froze, more of a fast paced looping of the sound of static. This only happens about 50% of the time. Also i noticed that sometimes broken lines appear at the top of the screen when she freezes up.

I dont know if this helps but my GPU core temp is 57C and the ambient temp is 37C

randruff

Do you not get a BSOD? Have you tried running scandisk or any form of disk checking utility? it doesnt appear to be a heating issue which is odd. Double check BIOS settings for accuracy and run scandisk. Let us know.

mangosteen

I've ran memtest for 22 hours, defragmented, and disk error check. memtest showed no errors, defragment didnt help and disk error couldnt find anything
Its odd that I could play doom3 at highest settings for many hours and not freeze once, but just simply surfing the web, talking on msn messenger or playing halflife multiplayer (a very old game made in 98) would cause my computer rto freeze..
All those tasks require internet. This lead me to believe that it was internet related. I switched off the onboard ethernet controller, updated ethernet drivers, turn off windows fire wall, but to no avail, she still freeezes up.

mangosteen

I dont know if I should do that, It might be a breach of my warranty. Any sort of overclocking is a breach of warranty, I dont know if this qualifies

BishBosh

The bit about the broken sound and broken lines at the top of the screen seems similar to a fault I had to fix a while ago.
The fault usually only happened wih heavy graphics use too.

Updating the video driver *and* the sound driver fixed the problem.

randruff

to rule out possibilities, try another psu on your system. Since your symptoms seem to be very vague, its probably a good idea to start testing your harware to narrow down possible causes.

mangosteen

Ok, I tried replacing the mobo, the problem still persisted but after trying changing Processors i found that the computer no longer freezes. So i guess the CPU was the problem, I am now awaiting for another 3800+ to come in. I think this computers freezing days are over, so thnx guys for the suggestions. =D