[Help] My computer won't start up!

Strandberg

It seems like the motherboard got power, since the LED on the motherboard is on.

So this is what happened. I just got a new computer, but the processor was a bit too weak for my style, so I wanted to change it with my slightly older computer. Since my new motherboard had a LGA1151-socket and my old processor had a LGA1150-socket, I couldn't just change the processors. So I figured that I would have to change the whole motherboard. Both computers turned on without problems and ran exactly as great as they had done before I changed them.

Then I proceeded to open up both my computers and take both of the motherboards out. I put the old motherboard in my new computer and put everything back in place. But when I tried to power it on, nothing happened. The LED on the motherboard was glowing, and my GTX 1070 also lighted up. One of the problems were that there weren’t enough slots to put my main fan on, so I thought (since I'm quite new to building computers) that maybe it wouldn't work because of that. I tried powering my old computer on (that now had my new motherboard) and it worked, without problems.

I then decided to put back the motherboards where they were from the beginning, so went on with that. I put my new motherboard in my new computer and it booted up and worked again. But when I put my old motherboard back in my old computer, nothing happened. The LED was glowing, but when I pressed the power button nothing worked. The fan didn't turn on, nothing. I know that it isn't the PSU:s fault, since it worked with my new motherboard and that it worked just fine before I took it out.

Specs (my new computer that's working):

Motherboard: ASUS B150M-Plus

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070 8 GB

RAM: Crucial DDR4 2x4GB 2133MHz

Storage: Seagate Firecuda SSHD 1TB 3,5"

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 03 Midi Tower

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2,7GHz

CPU Cooler: Stock

PSU: Cooler Master B500 500W

My old computer (that doesn't power up):

Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G

GPU: Gainwell GTX 760 2GB

RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 2x4GB 1800MHz

Storage: Seagate (?) SSHD 1TB

Case: ?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3,6 GHz

CPU Cooler: Stock

PSU: Cooler Master B500 500W

The things I've tried:

Switching the system panel pins

Switching the polarity of the power and reset pin

Using a screwdriver between the power pins

Taken out the RAM

Checked that everything is in the right place

Tried another PSU

I hope that this can be fixed in a way, since I don't have the money to buy a new motherboard.

Also, I'm planning to dust the motherboard with pressured air tomorrow and putting on new heat paste. Can this help with something?

Either way, thanks for reading this and I hope that someone can help me! Have a good one /Simon

_Pete_

Ensure the RAM is plugged in propery. Ensure the MB is not shorting on anything. Try unplugging everything from the board except the PSU, RAM and CPU and fire it up. If it boots to POST then the MB is okay but to be honest it does sound like you may have blown the MB during the move.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Reset cmos? Please tell me you kept old processor with old motherboard and new processor with new motherboard? They won't work interchangeably.

Okedokey

Put the computer you want together and reset the CMOS as John mentioned.

Also, with many new motherboards they can come with original BIOS. You should always update the BIOS to the newest one. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...003.zip?_ga=1.229852572.1481006445.1481923490

You can update the bios without the computer actually working by this method (below). Build your desired new PC and then update the BIOS.

See section 2.1.3 on pp. 2-3 http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...nly.pdf?_ga=1.260664973.1481006445.1481923490

Last edited:

Strandberg

Alright guys, thanks for your response! I put all of old parts in the old computer and the new ones in the new computer.

I actually fixed it! I changed the CMOS battery and cleaned the motherboard of dust. I also applied some thermal paste on the motherboard. I put all of the things together and now it worked! It was quite a lot of dust and the thermal paste was so dry, so I believe that was the problem. Either way, both motherboards are working now and I'm planning to get another one for my new computer, since I'm not able to overclock with my current motherboard. I feel quite cheated by the company that built and sent my computer. They put in a great GPU, but the RAM, motherboard and the processor was quite lackluster. But oh, what can you do?

Anyway, thanks everyone! I appriciate you all! :)