help - need new laptop

I am new to laptops and have never had one before. I also do not know a WHOLE lot about computers and all, like OCing. I did build this computer I am using and all though.

I read through some threads trying to decide if I should look for an AMD or Intel. I am thinking AMD, with dedicated video memory.

One I saw

That is one computer that seems to be an ok deal. Have any of you seen any better deals? I don't need the huge hard drive, 40 would probably do for me on the laptop...but then again the hard drives all are pretty big these days...I do want it to be fast though and have plenty of memory, and be upgradable for memory as well. Anyways, I just don't know what all to look for when it comes to laptops, and want to get one (and if I do it would need wireless internet in it, well..preferred anyways). I don't want to spend too much, that one in the link above is probably a little costly for me, but it seems like its an ok deal...are there better ones?

jjsevdt

If you're talking a bout laptops, Use the intel centrino It's made specifcally for lap tops to reduce battery stain and give you a better overall performance

alanuofm

VIP Member
i just got a dell for 824$. has 256 mb of pc2700, pentium M 725 1.6 ghz w/ 64 mb radeon 9000 dedicated. it plays counter strike 1.6 with 250 fps. hehe. i ordered it for my sister for general use and a similar cmoputer elsewhere would be around 1500. dell has really good computers.

What is this about the centrino? I haven't heard of it (but then again I am just now starting to look at laptops for the first time). Does it just help with the battery? It seems to cost a little more money by what I have noticed. Is the speed any faster for it cuz it seems pretty expensive for something basic.

The HP I had in the link seems pretty good for just over 1000. It has 128 dedicated and 512 ddr, 80 gb hard drive, amd 64 3200+ whatever that is but says its 2.0 ghz, and from what I hear a lot of people say amd runs faster than equivilant intel..and comes with printer and bag (bag I could care less, printer is probably nothing special like all free printers..) Is that ok? I am looking for something around 1000 I guess. I looked at some dells but so far didnt see any I liked too much.

Also, do laptops have the problem all shelf-bought desktops have, coming loaded with a bunch of software that just clogs up the computer? I hate that and its so frustrating dealing with it trying to get rid of it all. That is probably the main reason I built my own computer..just to avoid all that mess.

Thanks so far.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
AMD does typically run faster, but also hotter and usally less battery life. So it all depends on your priorities...

I have an Averatec with a Sempron, and I get a rather short 2 to 3 hours on it with wifi enabled. I hear the identical machine to mine, but with an intel(I don't remember what model right off) gets about 45 more minutes...

Hehe, yes, most computers come with loads of software. Now my averatec had very little on it(Works, then some restore software) but other more expensive/well known machines would be pretty loaded.

Thats what I hate about buying computers...all the stupid software....I would build the laptop from scratch too but my understanding is its not quite as easy...lol..Heck...if I had the money I would buy a laptop, copy of XP, trash the 'old' hard drive and just install a new one and stick xp and whatever I want on it...probably be a lot easier than dealing with the software...

I have never had a laptop so battery life doesn't seem to be like...something I know much about...lol. I think a few hours would work fine for me...You can get a dock right which lets you use it and will charge it for you? I could do that anytime I was around, or just plug it into the wall..whatever..I never really thought about battery life but I can't think of any super long periods of time I would need it to be running.

What does running hotter cause? People talk about the temperature needs to be low a lot and low is good etc...I know from building the desktop that you need to keep it cool enough to not overheat, but are there other benefits for keeping it lower? speed or something? If AMD runs faster anyways, then if its a little hotter would that be fine? As long as it doesnt die and is running fast im fine...I don't know too much more about additional stuff like heat and all that..Is there something that you find on some laptops that will help keep those AMDs cooler than a normal one?

Also, have any of you seen any good deals on a laptop around 1000$ lately and could give me a link? I figure most of you know more than me about it all so if you say its a good deal then it probably is!

The_Other_One

VIP Member
You can't really build a laptop. There area few kits where you just throw in the processor, HD, etc, but obviously you're still rather limited.

Battery life isn't a big deal to be which is why I stuck with my laptop. Most people use their's plugged up, where I just use mine for about hour sessions... Most laptops don't have docks anymore, but just the charger that you can use to power/charge it while you work. Sometimes you can even find other batteries for rather cheap to carry along with you if need be.

Heat causes all grades of problems. Instability, lock ups, I've even heard less battery life! I actually have my Averatec clocked down to 800MHz to help wth heat and battery life. Even at these speeds, it's pleanty fast for what I use it for, and very easy to clock back up. There are also cooling pads for laptops, but most of them tend to pull air away from the laptop where the fans actually suck air from the bottom. Therefor, they cause them to get hotter if the fans kick in!

I think Averatec's doing away with the 3200 series. I got my 3270 for around $600 from Staples. It was just a weekend special, but they might have that deal again to try and finish off their stock.

Oh yeah, I don't know if size means much to you, but my Averatec is TINY. It's a 12" model, but they also have a 10". They are just around 1" thick :)

alanuofm

VIP Member
i suggest the dell inspiron 600m. it has great battery life. my sister gets about 5 hours when just surfing the net or chatting online. i mean this laptop is cheap as in price and will do basically anything. it plays probably any first person shooter out right now. if you are looking for long battery life, compactness, and able to do anything i suggest it.

I just found an amazing p4 intel 3.4 ghz dell inspiron xps for a very reasonable price (used, from friend...like new...VERY affordable). Are xps's good computers? Also, it does not have wireless internet, but I would very much want it, or at least some way to get hooked up wireless. I don't even know if it has a lan card. Are these items hard to install myself? And are they affordable for the card like desktop cards are? If so, then I am definately considering this one..

Last edited: