help needed ASAP. first boot problem

Underpowered

first build, already issues trying to fire it up.

turned it on, and get a message

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

tried to reboot with no luck, tried inserting the CD that came with the MOBO and nothin happened. still get the same message over again. bios won't even display.

MSI mobo

Last edited:

Cameldude

i am no proffesional, but i would say that you have not connected your CD/DVD drive correctly. try to check whether it has been properly connected to mobo and the drive and also that the power has been connected. i know this is a bit stupid but it is worth the check. other people may give you better advice since they would probably know a bit more than me. Best

Underpowered

all that goes to the CD drive is a SATA cable, and the power wire. but shouldn't BIOS come up even if the CD drive was not connected?

StrangleHold

Staff member
first build, already issues trying to fire it up.

turned it on, and get a message

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

tried to reboot with no luck, tried inserting the CD that came with the MOBO and nothin happened. still get the same message over again. bios won't even display.

MSI mobo

all that goes to the CD drive is a SATA cable, and the power wire. but shouldn't BIOS come up even if the CD drive was not connected?

nope.

turn it on, goes to a screen that looks like the front of the MOBO box, then straight to the error message.

You need to set your boot order. To get past the MSI splash screen, start pressing the Del key when you turn it on. When the bios loads find the setting to disable the MSI splash boot screen. Then set your boot order. Save and exit.