Help Needed: Messed Up Trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

Shell Dae

I want to preface all of this by saying I don't know what I'm doing. I've been wanting to dual boot windows 7 and 10 for a while, ended up waiting til the last week the free upgrade to 10 is available, and dug my self a into a hole.

My goal was to install 2 copies of windows 7 then upgrade one to windows 10, rather than upgrading to 10 then installing another 7 so I wouldn't be stuck with only 10 if I screwed up, which I kind of did. Allow me to explain. I've been looking up tutorials on how to dual boot operating systems and they all say to create X amount of unallocated space on the hard drive, put in the OS disc, then restart and boot from the disc drive. I did all that, but every time I tried to boot from the disc drive an error occurred where it said something about hardware being changed and to restart my PC and run the repair on the windows 7 disc.

So I restart my computer and run the disc on the desktop like normal, but there's no repair option, only an install option. So since I already have the unallocated space, I figure I might as well just install it from there. I chose the online installation, then custom installation. When I got to the "where do you want to install windows" list, I saw that the unallocated space I created wasn't there. After much googling, I found somewhere that said I had assign the unallocated space to a letter drive. I went to change the drive letter for the unallocated space and found it wouldn't let me select the C: drive, so I gave it it's own drive letter X:.

I refreshed the windows install location list and the unallocated space, labeled "Disk 0 Partition 3 (X: )", was on there. I selected it, ran the install, my computer restarted a few times while it was installing and eventually I got to choose between 2 windows 7, which was my goal all along. But then it had me create a new user for this windows 7 in the new X drive. In all the tutorials I saw, all your user and all other information. I did so and continued. When I saw that this user had none of my other data, not even the drivers to run my keyboard, wifi card, or my computer screen at the proper resolution, I realized I seriously messed up and need help with this.

That's where I'm at right now. Sorry for the long post but I felt it was necessary to explain everything. Again, my goal was to install 2 windows 7, both which take their information from the C drive, then upgrade one to windows 10. I know I messed up majorly on this, as I said I don't know what I'm doing, and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you do a fresh install you won't have any software or data from previous OS or any drivers installed that windows didn't install itself. Thats the whole idea for a fresh install. Are both windows 7 installs working correctly? Do you have any of your data in any of the installs?

If you have a blank drive, boot to the windows 7 install cd, start the install. If your drive is all listed as unallocated then click on new and create a partition to install the first copy of windows 7. Get all your drivers installed, etc... Boot to the install cd again and start the install and select the second windows 7 to install to the remaining unallocated space.

How big is your hard drive? I would probably partition it into 3 separate drives.