~help needed PLEASE!!! AsAp~

idk789

Ok. I got a rlly big prob with my pc. It's a gateway desktop which is like about wat 5 going on 6 years old.

So basically like my pc is rlly, or was rlly slow. So one day I was working on this word document when it starts to get really slow. A few minutes later after like trying to continue typing, a message came up saying windows was shutting down the pc to protect it or something and then it said it is now deleting all physical memory.

So it shut down and i re-booted it, I ran like 10 virus scans and about 20 spyware scans and i found a few adwares but thts it. No viruses.

So I send the document to my friend as fast as I could. So then I left my pc for about a day, and shut it off so my new dog would go to sleep.

So then I turned it back on 1 day, and i left it for a while and i noticed it kept rebooting by itself. Then I looked to see wtf was happening and i saw that like a message came up saying if ur pc keeps rebooting follow these steps, if ur pc did this for the first time, follow these steps etc etc etc. Then under it it said like start in safe mode, safe mode control or something, start windows, etc. There were about 4 or 5 choices. So I chose each and every one of them. Every time it either just stopped at a sirtain point (I never got into windows) or it just began loading windows and then shut down and restarted.

basically, if u were to turn it on and leave it right now, it would just keep starting up, and rebooting constantly in a cycle.

Other odd thing is like whenever it starts loading or wen its about halfway into the loading process like the hardrive murmurs. Like it sounds like its gonna shut down, but it doesnt. Then, of course, a few seconds later, it does shut down.

I've tried everything. I've tried blowing out all the dust of it. I've tried looking inside. I've pressed F10 and F2 or w/e... Nothing.

All I did before my pc crashed was go on aim, work on my word doc, and thts it.

So my questions are...
1) What happened? Did I get hacked? Did I possibly get a virus? Did my hardrive just ware out? What?

2) How do I fix it, without taking it in to get sirviced?

3) If I have to sirvice it, would it be easier to buy a new pc or to just sirvice it?

PC eye

banned
At 5 or 6 years of age it sounds more like a hardware fault on the system board is your concern there. Failing read heads on the hard drive could also be another reason. A failing cpu(central processing unit) would also be a concern. The most likely cause on an old board however is the EProms for the bios or main chipset are now on the way out. Being that it is 5 to 6 yrs. old you are over due for an upgrade. With the problems you are seeing there and the list of hardwares now having been discontinued Buying used at EBay or building a new system if not buying a complete retail is a plan there.

magicman

VIP Member
Let me try and answer you in a more understandable way:

Everything you have said points to a failure of one of the components in your system. I'd be inclined to suggest it's the hard drive. It certainly isn't a virus, and you definately haven't been hacked.

The problem is, unless you know your way around a pc's innerds (or you know somebody who does), then you'd probably be looking at either a new pc or sending it in for repair.

Now what PC Eye was talking about was that your system is 'getting on a bit', and so it may be more cost-effective to buy a new pc rather than salvage this one. Of course if there's something on your computer that you want to try and salvage, such as word documents etc., then it may be possible to do so by plugging the hard drive into someone else's pc (or the repair tekkie's), and copying the stuff off that. If you managed to email off everything that's important, then you don't need to do that.

Hardware failures mean replacing components, which with old components could prove slightly harder (but by no means impossible). The question is, is replacing components something that you'd feel comfortable doing (or comfortable letting someone else do)? If not, then it's new pc time.

Hope this helps. :)

PC eye

banned
TIME FOR A NEW ONE!

I wouldn't have put it that "rudely"! :rolleyes: The age along with the fast changes in hardwares in just the last few years means that finding replacements hardwares for system more then 2-3yrs. becomes difficult except for bidding on a site like EBay. By the time you get parts and service costs totalled you have a good part of a new system paid for since newer complete builds are now cheaper then yours at the time you bought it.

If the hard drive is an ATA66 not ATA100 drive you will want to save your files onto removable media since the older type drives there won't run on newer boards. But newer ide drives will run in old cases. Copy your stuff onto a newer drive too.