Help needed please.

russb

I have a wireless modem netgear connected to my desktop.My wifes laptop uses the modem. Now where i need help is that i have another computer in another room and when i try to go on the internet it tells me i am not connected.Can someone tell me why and how i can sort it out.Please take into account that i know nothing about computers so please put it so an old man like me can understand,thank you.

russb

I clicked on Google and something about Wan came up,sorry mate i did not pay alot of attention to what came up.I thought that having this wireless modem i would have internet in any room with a computer.

tremmor

If all computers in the house are plugged in with cat cable should not be an issue.
If wireless was it encrypted with a password? Should be for liability reasons.
In the system tray if trying to use the wireless there should be an icon in the system tray (bottom right) of screen. its either a direct connection for viewing or might have to right click to see all wireless connection. Ya need to know the name of the connection you are look for. that would be the router name. sorry, thats the best i can do to explain.

russb

First i would like to say thanks for the replys.After having a word with my son
he told me that a password was needed for laptops but you still needed a cable for an extra desktop so now i know,thanks again.:)

AlienMenace

You really don't need a cable for the desktop, if you buy a wireless adapter for it. And put in your machine, set it up for it. password and such.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You may have a wireless modem, but unless that desktop has a wireless adapter (either internal PCI or external USB adapter) you won't be able to connect wirelessly.

If it is wireless already, you simply need to connect to your network and input the wireless key if it is secure.

You've been around here long enough. Haven't you learned to read the prompts? lol :p

tremmor

then again it will be faster with a cat cable and direct hookup. I have a laptop that i usually hook up wireless to carry around like the backyard or such. And again if a cat cable is available that would be first choice. and it is in some rooms.

russb

Thanks again for your replys,Voyagerfan99 was this(You've been around here long enough. Haven't you learned to read the prompts? lol)aimed at me if
so i am sorry that i am thick about computers.Now if it was a car i can stripe one down and rebuild it in my sleep can you.:)Getting back on subject how can i find the password and user name of my modem.:)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Voyagerfan99 was this(You've been around here long enough. Haven't you learned to read the prompts? lol)aimed at me if
so i am sorry that i am thick about computers.

Yes it was, and I know you are. I was teasing you :p

Getting back on subject how can i find the password and user name of my modem.:)

Do you see your wireless network listed in the Wireless Network Connection box? Did you set up the router with the password or did you get it through your ISP?

russb

I forgive you for taking the piss hahaha.When we had the old modem it came
from our IP and my son set up the new modem,he put a password into my wifes laptop which i have but i dont know what else he has done.Hopefully he is coming to me tomorrow so maybe he can sort it out.Voyagerfan99 where would i find this(Wireless Network Connection box).:)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I forgive you for taking the piss hahaha.When we had the old modem it came
from our IP and my son set up the new modem,he put a password into my wifes laptop which i have but i dont know what else he has done.Hopefully he is coming to me tomorrow so maybe he can sort it out.Voyagerfan99 where would i find this(Wireless Network Connection box).:)

What operating system are you running? (XP, Vista, 7, etc.)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You talk about me not reading things check my signature,lol

Just making sure :p

You should see something that looks like this:

Click it and select your network. Tick the box to connect automatically. Then enter the wireless key (password) when prompted.