Help Needed re: Samsung 712N

Lonsman

I recently bought a Samsung 712N which replaced a decent CRT that died. The STAPLES sales guy said this was a good monitor for my use: Mainly word processing, online research and occasional graphics. I tried it with my PC w/XP Pro and my Mac with OSX. Looking at text on this monitor is AWFUL!!
Before I call back the salesman, any suggestions? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
OH--Here's the rub: I bought it on sale (with a 2-week return policy) and went on vacation and got delayed three days so that I've passed the return policy by a few days!!
So--Should I be buying a CRT for text use? Does this Samsung just suck? What's happening?? HELP!

mgoldb2

VIP Member
what resoultion did you have the samsung set too? for a LCD monitor to look good it should be in it naitve resoultion usually 1280X1024.

Last edited:

Lonsman

Tried everything...

Looked also at an Apple Studio Display digital this evening. Same deal. Great for games/graphics but LCD not great for text. Thing is, I'm someone who works as an editor/researcher and I'm looking at text on the screen all day. Until some better technology comes along, I think I'll just go for a high-end 19" CRT (cheap these days!)...The Samsung is going back tomorrow for a credit.

Echo_

I have the NEC 19in FE911 SB
text looks great on it as long as you keep suprebright mode off

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Great for games/graphics but LCD not great for text
Try the ClearText thing (but it still damn near requires native resolution)

I think I'll just go for a high-end 19" CRT (cheap these days!)...The Samsung is going back tomorrow for a credit.
Good call :D