[HELP NEEDED]Strange files appear on D: Hard Drive

Tobbe

Hi

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise Laptop with Service Pack 1.
The files that came with the computer from school, such as Office 2010 is on the C: drive but everything else I have, programs + music files etc I store on the D: drive.

Recently I discovered that I got 2 files in the D: drive that I can't access. There's a little lock on the picture and I can't view the files in them.

They are called:
9c3780f8a5b10b3ece9ce6ffde
and
fd58e2eb040689eb339047239ed2

In them there are a number of files I can't access. The names of these are 4 numbers starting e.g. 1025, 1037 and 2052.

There are also:
DHtmlHeader.html
header.bmp
a few .dll files
Splash Screen.bmp
sqmapi.dll
and some more

I can't access the files. I don't know where they came from and I can't get rid of them. Please help

/Tobbe

iron Hide

I would say just hide those files instead of deleting them. They can can your system files or some program might be using them. If I were you, I would just hide them.

pane-free

If it is really necessary to know to what these alphanumeric labels refer to, go to Run => Regedit and highlight HKEY LOCALMACHINE; then click Edit, Find and paste them in to search (use F3 to do again)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
They're just misc. files left over from Windows Update. No need to worry about them. You can delete them if you want (gotta do it in safe mode though).

Tobbe

Well, that didn't work. Still says I need access...

Files are hidden instead. But still don't know why I couldn't delete them in safe mode. I'm the only account on this computer.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You need to take ownership of them from the system. It's a PITA, so you're better off just hiding them.

linkin

VIP Member
If you have an external drive just backup the files you need and format that drive to remove them. I had to do the same thing to remove an old windows installation.