HELP NEEDED WITH (monitor not starting)

SAD_DC

some one please help me out here

I got this computer and it started to give me shit
I would go turn it on and It would go on
BUT
the screen would stay in "safe mode"
I turn the monitor off then back on and same thing
so i gave the monitor a try on my other computer..

and it worked fine
so I think its something with my computer itself..
but I mean when I click the power button on the computer
everything seems fine but the screen stays off
i mean all the l.e.d's inside the comp are on
I can hear the computer working but I get no video..:*(
I had this problem only once before and I hit the reset button on
the computer and everything was fine..

I tried most anything
even changing the thermal compound on the cpu and same thing
:*(

If some one could help me out I would greatly appreciate it

thanks...

g33 m4n

hmm...6600 GT is pretty good. Maybe your graphics is screwed itself some how?, i had the same problem a few years back i dont think i fixed it though. just try replacing the graphics, if that doesnt work take it in????

is you PSU going straight into your graphics?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
When you say you hear it "working" do you actually hear it loading windows and see the HD light flash? Otherwise this sounds more like a power supply issue, or some other hardware problem.

TheChef

OK, just had this problem and this may or may not work for you. Try buying a new CMOS battery (not sure how it helped, but it did). Many of the CMOS batteries on new motherboards are crap. It's 4 bucks at RadioShack or a supermarket.

SAD_DC

k ill try that next time im at the mall thanks chef ill see if it worked or not...

to "the other one"
what I mean by hear it working is that Its one like usual like all the lights are on and makes the same sounds as it usualy does (when loading/starting)

and also...my video card is not directly pluged in to the psu.

TheChef

Does the 6600GT have to be plugged in directly? Don't worry about it if there's no connector.

SAD_DC

not to the psu it doesent all you gotta do is put it in a slot and your good to go :D

oh by the way I went to a radio shack and got that cmos battery and it didnt help :(

any other ideas??
i mean before I waste so much money on a video card
wich im most likely gonna get the 7800GT/Gtx
because I wanted one for a while now anyways lol

thanks...

Iluvpenguins

I had this problem....
The worst case scenario is your cpu and mobo already burnt out
Thats what happend to me once.Same exact thing..thought it was the monitor..then thought it was the graphics card,switched to the integrated graphics card..didn't work..so i knew it was the mobo...replaced it...tried..dead still?Found out it was the cpu too :(...it could be 1..or the other...or both.Hope not though.

TheChef

Try putting your Video Card in the other x16 slot (I assume you have one from your what your motherboard is), and switching to a different monitor on the same computer. PCI express slots can go faulty, although it's rare.

If worse coems to worse, try RMAing the video card, its very simple if you got it from newegg.

SAD_DC

kew kew ill try that thanks...

but yea its definatly not the monitor cuz I tried on my old run down computer and it worked

but yea ill try n get back to you
thank u all for ur help....keep it comming :D

SAD_DC

oh by the way..
I do think I got it from newegg but im pretty sure i dont have the reciepts/box ect..ect..

if anything ill prolly get the 7800gtx like I said
but i need to know that its 4 sure the video card because im not in the mood to spend 450+ bucks on something that will just lie around gathering dust..lol

SAD_DC

theres a 7900??
wow why was I not informed about this...ill check it out thanks for the heads up :D

SAD_DC

oh I just re-read chef's post and i dont have another monitor to try it out with :( unless my friend lets me use his lolz
but yea...I put the video card in the other slot and changed both of my r.a.m chips in the opposite slots and tried unplugging the h.d.d and the cd drive and plugging it back it
and when I start it up theres like a long beep..lasts about 2 seconds...
idk why it would do this anyone have any ideas??

screen still stays black
only thing that changed is the long beep on start up..

SAD_DC

huh...my friend..the one that had the same problem..

well after like 2+months of his pc gathering dust he decided to try somethin out
so he unpluged everything n pluged it back in
but he took his video card out n pluged his monitor into his mobo video slot...
so it worked...
we both came to the conclusion that the reason this is hapening is because american video cards suck rofl
but really
im probably gonna save up some money and get a nice video card(s) if I wanna go sli im not sure thou...

anyone got any Ideas on a nice card(s)??
im willing to go about 600 +/- ish