Help Needed!!!!

affoplays

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and hoping to get some insights into an issue I'm facing with my setup. I have a Dell Optiplex 790 MT, equipped with a 2nd generation Core i5-2400 CPU, a GTX 760 256-bit GPU, and a 500-watt PSU. There are a couple of problems I'm encountering:

1. Electrical Current in the Case: Firstly, I've noticed that my CPU case seems to be conducting electricity, which is definitely concerning.
  2. Screen Glitches: Secondly, I'm experiencing screen glitches, particularly noticeable when opening games, multiple tabs in Google Chrome, or any new desktop windows. The screen shows a wave-like pattern on the sides, but this issue seems to subside once the window is fully opened.
  3. Freezing Issues: Lastly, my PC occasionally freezes, particularly during startup or shortly after. I've observed that this might be related to my HDD’s orientation; it tends to work fine when placed vertically outside the case, but causes issues when positioned horizontally inside the case.
Any guidance or solutions to these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What power supply is it? Sounds like it could be faulty or the motherboard is grounded out to the case somewhere. If you take the motherboard out and put it on a piece of cardboard does it react the same?

DavidG

What makes you think that your PC case is conducting electricity?
Your PC is a fairly low spec, so it is not surprising that you are experiencing freezes until it is warmed up and finished loading all the startup programs

affoplays

What makes you think that your PC case is conducting electricity?
Your PC is a fairly low spec, so it is not surprising that you are experiencing freezes until it is warmed up and finished loading all the startup programs
I have sufficient specifications for fast booting. It's essentially empty, without any large files, and somtimes boots up smoothly without freezing. I want to know why it stucks sometimes

affoplays

btw after removing the HDD and starting my PC, it still encounters a freeze upon logging into Windows

the issue causing the PC to freeze is not related to the HDD.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
btw after removing the HDD and starting my PC, it still encounters a freeze upon logging into Windows

the issue causing the PC to freeze is not related to the HDD.
Well lets see, if you booted to windows then it has to be installed on a hard drive of some sort. Your computer is going on 13 years old at this point. Its pretty much time for a new one anyway. If you are getting shocked touching the pc case then check to make sure there is no power cables touching the pc case, you may have a short in one of the cables. If you don't know how to diagnose this type of problem, then you need to take it in somewhere and have them do it.

affoplays

I'll bring it to the computer shop since they have more knowledge about what needs to be done. and now I also thinking it time to buy new one.

well thanks everyone for you contribution