Help! New computer wont boot.

sveken

Ok so ive put part of my new computer together. and nothing happens, no beep, no display, only the cpu fans turn on, so i Google and apparently i just have to update the BIOS so my mobo can use my Phenom II 965, so i cleared the CMOS so i could try and get it to the BIOS but that doesnt work. ( im just using whats on the board no HDD) But i pull out the RAM and YAY it starts beeping, saying no memory Detected, so i put it back in and restart. still nothing fans start up then cool n quit kicks n and the fans go down a notch. but thats it...Any ideas. should i just buy a Athlon II to update the BIOS or is it a memory problem?

The specs are
ASUS M4A79T Duluxe
Phenom ii 965
Sapphire Radeon 4670

And the RAM is this http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwave...EQNG1787BZVZLUT5OQK2D7VJLYJMV3IQ&sku=37140343

Kingston Value ram 4GB ddr3 1333mhz

any ideas, please need help

Bacon

( im just using whats on the board no HDD)

What? So, if I'm understanding this right, you're trying to start the computer without a hard drive and use just the motherboard?

If so, thats not how it works. You NEED a hard drive.

sveken

What? So, if I'm understanding this right, you're trying to start the computer without a hard drive and use just the motherboard?

If so, thats not how it works. You NEED a hard drive.

I need a HDD to get past POST? ok i didnt know that ill try that then.

sveken

Sure no HDD will stop It from posting? i am using a Graphic card CPU and RAM with main board. i meant im not using peripherals.

Bacon

Sure no HDD will stop It from posting? i am using a Graphic card CPU and RAM with main board. i meant im not using peripherals.

No I'm pretty sure you won't get past POST if it can't verify there is a hard drive and by peripherals you mean no keyboard, mouse, printer etc.. Some computers won't boot without a keyboard.

Last edited:

sveken

No I'm pretty sure you won't get past POST if it can't verify there is a hard drive and by peripherals you mean no keyboard, mouse, printer etc.. Some computers won't boot without a keyboard.

ok thanks its just i cant get it to do anything no screen no beeps, just fans, it only beeps when i take out the ram, ill hook up the HDD and a keyboard and try then.

sveken

I just tried it then with the HDD's and keyboard, still nothing no beeps nothing on the screen, i think ill buy a cheap athlon ii and see if i can update the BIOS, it might just be the BIOS it has currently doesn't support the Phenom ii 965. you think thats a good plan?

Bacon

I just tried it then with the HDD's and keyboard, still nothing no beeps nothing on the screen, i think ill buy a cheap athlon ii and see if i can update the BIOS, it might just be the BIOS it has currently doesn't support the Phenom ii 965. you think thats a good plan?

Try checking your motherboard's manufacturing website and see what cpu's are compatible and at what BIOS version. If I remember correctly your BIOS version should be printed on the BIOS chip on the motherboard. Other than that I would double check to make sure everything is seated properly, test RAM 1 stick at a time, recheck cables and only when all that checks out would I consider buying that athlon.

sveken

Yea the BIOS is outdated, im going to ring ASUS and see if they can send my a BIOS chip as i think they do that

skmore

May be RAM prob.

Try to replace RAM Chip, and also are you connecting the monitor cable to onboard display connector or the graphic card.
b.coz it automatically disables on display if graphic card it connected.

sveken

Try to replace RAM Chip, and also are you connecting the monitor cable to onboard display connector or the graphic card.
b.coz it automatically disables on display if graphic card it connected.

The board doesn't have on-board Graphics, and i don't have any spare DDR3 or 2 RAM to test it with. but ill try updating the BIOS and if that doesn't work it probably is the RAM, or something else