[Help] Nvidia PoV 9600 GT Overheating problem

aikun

Hi guys, i have a problem with my 9600gt.
I thinks my 96gt is overheating, when in idle its have 63 celcius. I haven't check the temperature when i use it for game.
Picture will explain.
85x.png

Because of the overheating problem, i take inisiative to add vga cooler. I use 2 x 12mm HSF that equivalent to 22000rpm per each. I attach the vga cooler below the vga, using pci slot.
But the temperature not to much change, just 2 or 3 celcius decrease.
Sorry for my bad english...
Any solutions for my problem? Thanks before.

regards
aikun

Kornowski

VIP Member
Grab a can of compressed air and blow all the heatsinks and fans on your graphics card (whilst the computuer is off) - more than likely it'll be full of dust.

Are you seeing any artifacts or other problems that indicate it's overheating, or are you just guessing that it's running too warm?

You can always download Rivatuner and increase the fan speed on your card. The fans speeeds are normally set to auto and ramp up when the card gets hot, I tend to change the fan speed to manual and just set them to about 60% and leave them there, the noise doesn't bother me too much.

aikun

Grab a can of compressed air and blow all the heatsinks and fans on your graphics card (whilst the computuer is off) - more than likely it'll be full of dust.

Are you seeing any artifacts or other problems that indicate it's overheating, or are you just guessing that it's running too warm?

You can always download Rivatuner and increase the fan speed on your card. The fans speeeds are normally set to auto and ramp up when the card gets hot, I tend to change the fan speed to manual and just set them to about 60% and leave them there, the noise doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks for your response.
I've clean all of the dust, i use air compressor to clean it up.
I don't see any artifacts when playing game or normal use. I've play most of heavy game, like la noire, crysis, bf3 etc, but its running normally. No problemo.
Rivatuner? It's safe? I don't mind with the noise, cause its already have a big noise hehehe... :D:D:D so i've familiar with the fan noise, imagine i use 6 HSF in my system (2200rpm per each hahahaha :D :D )

Owh...or maybe the thermal paste problem? Thermal paste that use in the gpu? Under the fan...

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for your response.
I've clean all of the dust, i use air compressor to clean it up.
I don't see any artifacts when playing game or normal use. I've play most of heavy game, like la noire, crysis, bf3 etc, but its running normally. No problemo.
Rivatuner? It's safe? I don't mind with the noise, cause its already have a big noise hehehe... :D:D:D so i've familiar with the fan noise, imagine i use 6 HSF in my system (2200rpm per each hahahaha :D :D )

Owh...or maybe the thermal paste problem? Thermal paste that use in the gpu? Under the fan...

Yeah, Rivatuner is fine, it's been around years. Just try setting the fan speed to manual and raise it.

I doubt it's the thermal paste, unless you've had the HSF off and not replaced it when you put it back together?

aikun

Yeah, Rivatuner is fine, it's been around years. Just try setting the fan speed to manual and raise it.

I doubt it's the thermal paste, unless you've had the HSF off and not replaced it when you put it back together?

Ok, i'll try to install rivatuner. Hmm...i'm not sure whether the HSF have been removed, cause i'ts my brother old vga, now he get new vga and the old one, he give it to me..
Hmm...maybe i should ask my bro about that.
What if the he had the HSF off and not replaced the thermal paste? Can i apply the thermal paste by myself or i should bring it to the computer store?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, i'll try to install rivatuner. Hmm...i'm not sure whether the HSF have been removed, cause i'ts my brother old vga, now he get new vga and the old one, he give it to me..
Hmm...maybe i should ask my bro about that.
What if the he had the HSF off and not replaced the thermal paste? Can i apply the thermal paste by myself or i should bring it to the computer store?

If it's the stock cooler and case then I doubt it's been removed, worth asking just just to double check though.

The paste can dry up and ideally should be replaced whenever the seal between it and the heatsink/component has been broken. It's something you can do yourself, all you'll need is some new thermal paste (better to spend a little more to get some decent stuff, Arctic Silver 5 is pretty good), some rubbing alcohol to clean the old paste off and make sure there's no dirt/grime/oils on anything and an optional credit card to spread the paste.

You don't need to apply much thermal paste, it's easy to over-do it; a small pea sized amount is enough. People sometimes like to apply it and spread it round with a credit card to get a nice even layer, but I personally let the contact and force of the HSF being put back on distrubute the paste.