help on new build

SadiaWolfx

New Member
ok i was just wondering if this is a good build, and if this will ass acutally work together, it seems ok to me but this is my first time building a game computer

Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP @n Motherboard - Intel P45, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, CrossFireX Ready, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, Firewire, USB 2.0, eSATA, RAID
$304.99(Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...tails.asp?EdpNo=3940039&body=MAIN#detailspecs
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan
$199.99(Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3574211&CatId=2396
Ultra ULT40053 X-Pro 600-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 135mm Fans, SATA-Ready, PCI-E-Ready, Active PFC
$109 (Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2486983&sku=ULT40053
Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
$80 (Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2795126&sku=TSD-500AAKS
Diamond Radeon HD 4870 Video Card - 512MB GDDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support
$378.99 (Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3947461&sku=D10-4870
Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 SuperAllwrite OEM Lightscribe DVD Burner - 20x DVD±R Burn, 16x DVD±R Read, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x24x CD-R/RW, Black, SATA, No Software
$36.99(Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3189533&sku=L12-1134 OEM
1. Patriot Extreme Dual Channel 2048MB PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
$113.99(Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3869748&sku=P33-5088
or
2. Corsair Dual Channel XMS2 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)
$124.99(Tiger Direct.ca)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3757080&CatId=3413

and also let me know what type of ram this mobo uses, cause i was reading and some spots say DDR2 and some say DDR3 and some other spots say DDR2 but you can install DDR3 , so please let me know because its confusing me completely

thank you very much
 
I'm in the process of a new build myself and I'm NOT a computer guru. But I can tell you a few things that I learned. First off the prices here from Tigerdirect are a little high. Look into newegg.com or mwave.com. I'm looking at the same mb and hd. As for the video card, it's probably overkill from what I was told, look into the ATI 4850 for more than $100.00 less it performs great and you can cross fire with 2 of them if you want even more performance. As to the PSU IMO there are better PSU for less money just look at the sites I already told you about. Now as for the memory I would go for the 4 GB and look into OCZ reaper for 51.00 after rebate. Again hopefully more people will chime in, so I too can learn. Oh also I'd look into the Quad series. The E8400 is a great performer, but I'm looking into the Q9450 for $100.00 more than the E 8400. I've been waiting for the Q9550 to drop to the 350.00 range.
 
ok thanks very much youve been a great help
and also can someone please tell me what crossfire is excatly
 
Last edited:
ok thanks very much youve been a great help
and also can someone please tell me what crossfire is excatly


When you take 2 video cards like the ATI 4850 and put them on the mb. So when you have 2 video cards it makes it approx. 30% faster then just the one. Now you also have to have a crossfire mb like the asus your looking at. The other way is called SLI. When you take a SLi compatible mb and 2 cards like the nvidia 8800 and put them on the board.
 
Newegg does NOT ship to Canada. Not sure about mwave, but seeing that you buy from Newegg, then you're in the US. I can infer mwave doesn't ship to Canada either.
 
I don't live in Canada. Mwave and Newegg are 5 mins from the house.

why not use newegg then???

Also, that motherboard will not work with that ram, the motherboard supports DDR3, and DDR3 is not worth getting!

What is your budget? i might be able to do a better build for you.
 
why not use newegg then???

Also, that motherboard will not work with that ram, the motherboard supports DDR3, and DDR3 is not worth getting!

What is your budget? i might be able to do a better build for you.

Question, like I said before I myself am not a computer GURU, but I was told that this mb supports both DDR2 and DDR3? Is this correct? Please let me know for certain so I can base my decision on this also. I was told DDR3 was not worth the money and that DDR2 would be just as good right now. Thanks for the help.... Oh found out that the Asus P5Q Deluxe supports DDR2 and the WIFi board supports DDR3 OK there was my confusion.
 
Last edited:
When you take 2 video cards like the ATI 4850 and put them on the mb. So when you have 2 video cards it makes it approx. 30% faster then just the one. Now you also have to have a crossfire mb like the asus your looking at. The other way is called SLI. When you take a SLi compatible mb and 2 cards like the nvidia 8800 and put them on the board.

With the recent advances in technology, setting up two cards in crossfire actually results in nearly double the performance. For what I've heard, Xfire generally seems more efficient than SLI as far as scaling is concerned. According to a review setting up 4 cards in Xfire resulted in a little more than triple the performance of a single card - and that was with the older 3-series cards. I would think the new 4-series cards scale even better.
 
Question, like I said before I myself am not a computer GURU, but I was told that this mb supports both DDR2 and DDR3? Is this correct? Please let me know for certain so I can base my decision on this also. I was told DDR3 was not worth the money and that DDR2 would be just as good right now. Thanks for the help.... Oh found out that the Asus P5Q Deluxe supports DDR2 and the WIFi board supports DDR3 OK there was my confusion.

No it only supports DDR3,

as i said before, what is your budget i can do you a better build.
 
No it only supports DDR3,

as i said before, what is your budget i can do you a better build.

I don't have a budget, but I don't want to hijack this thread.:) With that said here's what I got.

Moved to new thread
 
Last edited:
Back
Top