Help On New Computer Buy

nthe10ring

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=320288&pfp=BROWSE

Ive been looking for a new computer. I have about 4 year old Pent III with 512 mgs Ram and ME operating system. I mostly use it for email-chat - photos and some video. I seldom game , I've had lots more birthdays than most of the folks here, but I know you guys are up on all the latest stuff.
I like a nice quick system and overall function.It would appear that the Vid Card can be added to give better results, and I'm told the AMD would work well in that area. Any advice as to the merits of the above linked system would be greatly appreciated.

nthe10ring

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Purely looking at the system, the machine is capable of handling what you intend to throw at it :) Nothing you've described as the tasks is particularly in favor of either an Intel nor AMD platform.

nthe10ring

Updates

What video card would u recommend for updates. As to sound , it would appear to be onboard. Is it possible with the open slots to install a dedicated sound card. I have a 5.1 surround system on my old system i would like to continue to use.

nthe10ring

Qlutch

I agree, the 6600GT is a good buy for a little less than $200, but if you aren't going to game, I would suggest saving a few bucks and buying a 9800 Pro.

Qlutch

Oh my bad, I guess I didn't look and see it was PCI-e. In that case, I'd suggest an X600 Pro, but a 6600GT isn't much more and performs much better.

nthe10ring

Sounds

thanks for the help on the video- any guidance on the sound you can give me - am I able to add a dedicated sound card, or is the onboard 6 channel adjustable ok. I play a lot of music, cutting cd's and such.

nthe10ring

Qlutch

I have onboard 6-channel audio, and it works perfecly fine for listening to music and handling input tasks.

nthe10ring

media edition

what do u think of the media edition of xp--for my needs---is it just a spruced up copy of the regular xp, or should i try to up grade to pro.

Qlutch

You're doing video editing, right? In that case, Media Edition is just XP configured to fit the needs of video editors / sound/music editors. It would be good for you. XP Pro is built based on the needs of businesses. It has some added security features and a few more configuration options. From what it looks like you're doing, however, I would say you don't need to upgrade to Pro.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
For a graphic card a 6600GT is good for the budget.
Good for the budget yes but overkill for the intent of the system

I agree, the 6600GT is a good buy for a little less than $200, but if you aren't going to game, I would suggest saving a few bucks and buying a 9800 Pro.
Isnt thr 9800Pro overkill for no gaming?

what do u think of the media edition of xp--for my needs---is it just a spruced up copy of the regular xp, or should i try to up grade to pro.
Stick to the regular XP Pro :)

You're doing video editing, right? In that case, Media Edition is just XP configured to fit the needs of video editors / sound/music editors.
Isnt it more tailored to people who WATCH movies and LISTEN to music? I'd hardly consider WMCE to be a content creation OS

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
THe X700 only because the other card is agp. For the price of x700pro, i'd rather get the 6600 regular.
My bad on the AGP. I just copy pasted off the other thread i had (prolyl made a AGP/PCIE mistake there too heehee)