Help on upgrading from XP to windows 7

Eric4753

The problem is that when i was playing a game on my pc the computer crashed and shut down. When i turned it back on it kept saying the startup file is corrupt ands it wouldn't boot up to the loading screen. Now we don't know how to fix this other than the recovery cd or upgrading windows. So we decided to upgrade from windows xp to windows 7 but the problem is that the pc wont even startup so how do we upgrade it to windows 7?also also we would need to clear the hard drive too so how do we do that stuff if the pc wont even boot up?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Eric

tremmor

wipe it clean. don't do a quick install. do a full format when the option comes.
You will or might have the same problems. wipe clean and be done with it.

strollin

If you have the XP install disk for your system, you should be able to do a repair install.

You can't do an upgrade install of Win 7 over XP, you need to do a "clean" install.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I'd test your hard drive before you waste time playing with the operating system.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ok i can't even boot up the computer so how would i install windows 7? would i wipe the hard drive clean then install windows7?

In your first post you said windows would not boot. Now your saying the computer wont boot at all. Which one? If the computer boots (as in the computer turns on and the bios screen comes up). Instead of booting to the harddrive, boot to the CD/DVD drive with the windows CD/DVD and do a clean install or have you tried to boot to the Recovery CD?

Eric4753

In your first post you said windows would not boot. Now your saying the computer wont boot at all. Which one? If the computer boots (as in the computer turns on and the bios screen comes up). Instead of booting to the harddrive, boot to the CD/DVD drive with the windows CD/DVD and do a clean install or have you tried to boot to the Recovery CD?

we will turn the pc on and two seconds later the error comes up so... how do we wipe the hard drive clean? and upgrade windows 7

also we can't find any cds at any stores

Eric4753

the error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the orginal setup CD-ROM
select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Eric4753

How?

Also we just bought a recovery Disk and were thinking of upgrading to windows 7 after recovering the hard Drive will this fix the problem?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have access to a windows XP install cd? Borrow one from someone. This is easily fixable.

Here is the process.

http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

Start with resolution B.

If you want to upgrade to windows 7 then you need to make sure your system will run it. What is your system specs? To install windows 7 you must boot to the install cd. Change your first boot device to cdrom instead of hard drive so you don't get that error.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A recovery disk will make you start over from scratch. You will lose all data on the drive unless you back it up first.

Eric4753

Alright so is there any way i can fix this problem and still keep all my files and documents on the computer besides backing the stuff up to a separate memory unit?