HELP! Overclock Issue

newgeneral01

So I have an Asus board and it has an automatic overclocker. So i set it and it used to work fine but now sometimes i will get the BSOD, or my windows explorer wont start up, or just a black screen. This is only when i try to overclock it. does anyone know what the problem could be?

ScOuT

VIP Member
I have been using Asus motherboards for a while and they can be unstable when you crank up the power. Here are some of the main problems

- Memory voltage and timings not set correctly. Asus motherboards can be really picky with RAM. On the Asus forum they talk all the time about OCZ RAM, a lot of Asus boards don't like it. Make sure you go to your RAM manufacturer's web site and get all voltage and all timings, even extended timings, and enter them into the BIOS. This is one of the main problems with over clocking an Asus motherboard. You will see in the Asus forum that a lot of their motherboards don't like all 4 DIMM slots filled with RAM.

- Most Asus motherboards have a FSB gap as they call it. They will work up to a certain number and then crash. Keep pushing it and it will work again. That is your FSB gap. The Asus forum will have tons of info about your board and they will explain the gap on your board. You will be able to see what others have done to their motherboards.

Just make sure when you are trying to overclock you record all info for each try. Asus BIOS lets you save BIOS profiles so you can always go back to the stable one. After a failed overclock session make sure you clear the CMOS or it will mess with the next try. Even if you enter a stable BIOS setting, it might still be unstable because the CMOS was not cleared.

I have seen people try and overclock the crap out of a computer and think just because it loads windows it is good, not really test it between sessions. When I crank it up, I test it for about 3-4 days. I run prime95 for about 3 hours and then just use it normally for the rest of the time. Normal internet, gaming, and test run some of the programs I use during this 3-4 days test run. Then you can see just how stable it is.

This is a link to the forum for your motherboard....check it out, they will help you with everything. Just a quick look through the forum shows a lot of RAM problems with that motherboard model.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5N32-E+SLI&SLanguage=en-us
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper TX2
RAM : Corsair XMS2 Pro/pc6400/ 4x1GB/ @800 MHz
Graphics : Evga 9800 GTX @ 760 MHz
PSU : Antec Neo Power 650w / modular cables
OP: Vista Home Pre 64 bit

newgeneral01

thanks but im just using the AI overclock and i set it on 20%. it worked fine but i think my mb or cpu got messed up, so now i get the blue scrn on windows dont start, but if i turn off the AI overclock its fine. same goes for the AI NOS

Bliepo

And it might be worth checking the temperatures of your CPU. Your fan might have become dusty, causing it to preform lower, causing the CPU to become warmer. And we all know what then.

ScOuT

VIP Member
My motherboard has never worked on 20% Ai overclock either. It will work fine at 15% but as soon as I try 20%.....it won't even start. Same exact problem:( I think it is a flaw in the design. But if you manually increase the FSB and settings it works fine.

My settings right now
- FSB 1532
- RAM set at all timings and voltage from website, set at 800 MHz (1.92v/5-5-5-15)
- BIOS RAM settings " unlinked "
- CPU multiplier 7.5 (max for my Q9300)
- NB set to "auto"

I just unlinked the RAM and set it at 800 MHz, then just do a 15% overclock and see what happens. Test it if it is stable, then increases the FSB by 4 MHz increments, thats what works for my motherboard. If I mess with any of the Vcore voltage or NB voltage it crashes right away:(