help - pc won't boot from cd drive

roadhog

Just trying to get my Dell desktop PC to boot from cd Drive. No luck so far. I've changed BIOS settings in startup to boot from IDE CD drive first. No luck. I've tried pressing "any key" during bios startup (although not ever prompted for it either) and still no luck. Keeps going straight to windows xp (booting off hard drive). I've done F12 during bios splash page, upon which I get a menu asking where I want to boot from. I choose IDE CD Drive and the boot fails every time.

Any ideas?

roadhog

thanks for the reply.

yes. It happens to be a windows xp pro installation cd and I can read the files fine in windows.

roadhog

i take it back. just tried to pay more attention to that during boot. the drive light was on and making some noise (though not spinning up to "full speed") prior to it booting to windows off the hard drive (which is not what I want of course).

brian

VIP Member
what is your setup.

master cable--------harddrive(master)

slave cable-----------cd drive (master)

if you dont get it i can help you find it

brian

VIP Member
and you have it in the dvd drive right?

also does it ask which drive to boot (the cd drive or the dvd drive?)

roadhog

doesn't show dvd drive as an option in setup. just ide cd drive. I've tried both during boot but seem to get more action out of cd drive.

brian

VIP Member
lol. ok then :D. ok on you cd drive and dvd drive are they connected by the same cable? if so look at them you will find slomething like this.
teac-rear.gif

it is #5 strap switch. tell me if it is under master, slave, or cable slect. it should have a bit more help on the cd drive as to where the jumper will be for both

roadhog

yes. one panel for each and on each panel it appears to be in the "C" position. Tough to see back there with the IDE interface connector in the way. both appear to have a grey "cap" looking thing over the pins in the "c" position which I take to be the switch.

roadhog

and the ide connector (for both dvd and cd) goes into the secondary ide slot on motherboard. hard drive goes into the primary ide slot.