Help please, computer runs very slow

computerstupid

I recently built a computer and it was running fine then it crashed and I could not get it to boot back up. I went into the bios and loaded the fail safe defaults and this was no help. I found that the hard drive power cable was loose. I plugged it back in and the computer booted up but now runs very slow. I went back into the bios and loaded the optimized settings and this was no help. I did a system restore in windows and this was no help either. I then reloaded windows and all the drivers and it is still slow. It is an athlon 3200+ processor and the motherboard is a MSI VIA KM400A. Does anybody have any more ideas what it could be?

computerstupid

It's not hooked up to the internet so I don't think it is spyware or a virus. I haven't installed any new programs or hardware either.

Lax

VIP Member
A. What OS are you running.
B. What size and brand Memory you got (and how many sticks)
C. What PSU are you using.

Spyware...
Roger

Couldn't be, he reformatted.

try a disk clean up and a disk defrag

Usually won't do anything if it's a rather new HDD.

computerstupid

I couldn't find where to change the processor speed. I searched all through the BIOS.
I'm running:
Windows XP
Corsair Memory 2 x 256
The power supply is a stock one, Turbolink LC-A350ATX I think is what it says.

Thanks,
Andy

computerstupid

I tried downloading the pc wizard and it said that the files were corrupt. I don't have internet access on the computer giving me problems and the computer I am using now is older, a pentium 2, so it's a slow process downloading the pc wizard on dial up and trying to put it on my other machine.

I did notice in the BIOS that the CPU says it is running at 2.2g but my processor is suppose to be 3.2g. I wouldn't think this is right but I can't find any place to tell it any different. :mad:

Will still try and get results from the pc wizard.

Thanks,
Andy

NeuromancerWGDD'U

The Athlon rating of 3200+ doesn't mean that it's supposed to run at 3.2 GHz, but rather that it has a series rating of 3200+. If it's an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton, then the frequency is spot-on, and it's running at the correct speed.

An idea, though. I know it doesn't sound like it'd make much sense, but you might want to try plugging the hard drive into a different plug from the PSU. Again, makes no sense, but I've found a lot of strange things with computer hardware that work, but that didn't make sense either.

Last edited:

BishBosh

It's quite possible the disk is "limping along". A loose power cable can easily cause the drive to permanently fail.
Yup, I've done it.

randruff

I am not sure about the mobo you have but i know with mine, when it posts, it tells the processor (AMD AthalonXP 2800+) as opposed to the ghz. If nothing has seemed to work, start from square one. Open the case, make sure everything is firmly seated on the mobo. Check the jumpers on your HDD. I know that everything was working fine before but at this point, if i was you, i would start ruling everything out as the cause.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I recently built a computer and it was running fine then it crashed and I could not get it to boot back up. I went into the bios and loaded the fail safe defaults and this was no help.
Booting and posting are two different problems ... which are you having? :)

computerstupid

Well, I went out and bought a new mobo for it. I wasn't happy with the old one from the start. The computer seems to be a little bit better but still not up to par with what it was.
I finally got the pc wizard to run, here's some of the results:
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 2
Chipset: nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400
Processor: AMD Athlon XP @ 2194MHz
Physical Memory: 512Mb (2 x 256 DDR- SDRAM PC3000 @ 200MHz)
Video Card: Nvidia Corp GeForce FX5500 [nv34.6]
Hard Disk: WDC WD160BB-22GUAO (160GB)
DVD Recorder: TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H5528 CDR
DVD ROM: TSST corp DVD-ROM TS-H352A (48x)
Network Card: Nvidia corp nForce MCP-T Networking Adaptor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600

On the print out of the parts list I got from the dude that built my computer my processor says it's an 'AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 3.2GHz 400FSB 512KB Processor.' Currently I am trying the disk defragment, I will see how that does.

Thanks again for all your help,
Andy

Daveb2012

computerstupid said:
Well, I went out and bought a new mobo for it. I wasn't happy with the old one from the start. The computer seems to be a little bit better but still not up to par with what it was.
I finally got the pc wizard to run, here's some of the results:
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 2
Chipset: nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400
Processor: AMD Athlon XP @ 2194MHz
Physical Memory: 512Mb (2 x 256 DDR- SDRAM PC3000 @ 200MHz)
Video Card: Nvidia Corp GeForce FX5500 [nv34.6]
Hard Disk: WDC WD160BB-22GUAO (160GB)
DVD Recorder: TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H5528 CDR
DVD ROM: TSST corp DVD-ROM TS-H352A (48x)
Network Card: Nvidia corp nForce MCP-T Networking Adaptor
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600

On the print out of the parts list I got from the dude that built my computer my processor says it's an 'AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 3.2GHz 400FSB 512KB Processor.' Currently I am trying the disk defragment, I will see how that does.

Thanks again for all your help,
Andy

XP 3200+ 3.2GHz 400FSB 512KB Processor.

this is rediculous who ever said an atholon xp would do 3.2ghz is nuts, I have a 3000+ A64 venice and I cannot even start windows over 2,702mhz and venice is prorbably the best AMD core that exist. what is wrong exactly that makes you not happy with it???

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 3000+ A64 venice and I cannot even start windows over 2,702mhz and venice is prorbably the best AMD core that exist. what is wrong exactly that makes you not happy with it???
Ya well my newcastle will boot to 3.19Ghz as for best @ high clocks, dont forget the Winchies and Hammers

computerstupid

Daveb2012 said:
XP 3200+ 3.2GHz 400FSB 512KB Processor.

this is rediculous who ever said an atholon xp would do 3.2ghz is nuts, I have a 3000+ A64 venice and I cannot even start windows over 2,702mhz and venice is prorbably the best AMD core that exist. what is wrong exactly that makes you not happy with it???

The boot up is noticably slower as well as video editing as compared to before the crash. I'm not upset about the speed it's running at now, it's just not at the full potential it was at before the crash.

And for the specs on the processor, that's what the order description sheet said. It was item no. 80181-R, I'm not sure which company it was ordered from.

Andy

Daveb2012

computerstupid said:
The boot up is noticably slower as well as video editing as compared to before the crash. I'm not upset about the speed it's running at now, it's just not at the full potential it was at before the crash.

And for the specs on the processor, that's what the order description sheet said. It was item no. 80181-R, I'm not sure which company it was ordered from.

Andy

so basically you bought the computer pre-built and it was over clocked. and you lose OC'ed settings after the crash??

you would have to over clock it manually again to get it back up to par, and if you dont have experience or knowledge in that area it will be difficult.

btw its illegal to advertise a computer with faster clocked cpu then it really has... unless of course you bought it over clocked, but companys have gotten in trouble in the past for illegal cpus like this

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
you have a 3500 i said 3000+,
Yeah i know but we're talking about cores not processor models. I was challenging the idea that "because you can get an overclock doesnt mean the core is the best"

the point was no 3200xp an econmy processor is doing 3.2ghz..
Dont be so sure about that ;) Considering you can get 800MHz on air cooling .... an extra 200MHz is in spitting range of more exotic cooling techniques ;)

btw its illegal to advertise a computer with faster clocked cpu then it really has...
It is?