help please!!!

Mattk

I wonder if somebody could help me. I have a wireless network, well only 1 pc, using a Belkin router.

I have just bought a laptop and not sure why it can't connect also to this network, the laptop can see the network but when I try to connect to it, it says it can't, even though I type in the network password! Is there something I need to do within the router settings via the web address 192. etc?

I am a bit 'thick' on computer matters but this is driving me nuts, any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Mattk

Hi,

It says it cannot connect to the network so I click the 'diagnose the problem' button and it says wireless authentication failed because of a timeout. There was some sort of Norton anti virus on it yesterday, when bought, but I removed it. I think it was just a bit of software to make you buy it

Matt

quagmondo23

Sorry, I phrased it the wrong way. What wireless security do you have (eg wep wpa). I know something similar happened to me, I didn't put in the right wep key. Thats probably not whats wrong with it but it's my best guess.

Mattk

WPA PSK no server - whatever that means! I found something on the net which suggests that the atheros driver is knackered for Vista and I should update it, any thoughts on that one?

Mattk

Yes I do, I have realised I have got another problem now, I downloaded the latest drivers and am attempting to copy them to my memory stick on F: but it says the file or dir cannot be created when I try to copy and paste it, so now I have two problems - just great!

quagmondo23

Wait. what type of file is it? Does it need to be copied. Oh yeah you cant connect to the internet(I forgot). Memory sticks have a notch on the side sometimes that makes them locked and then you can't copy stuff to them.

quagmondo23

Can you connect with an ethernet cable and turn off security and then connect wirelessly and set it up again step by step.

Mattk

It's a creative nomad (?) memory stick, no it has no lock button. I was going to copy the new atheros drive onto it to then go downstairs to update the driver on the laptop but obviously can't do that now. Should I plug my laptop into the belkin router then with the blue ethernet cable?

Mattk

Ok. If I plug my laptop directly into the back of the belkin router using my ethernet cable, the internet works!! however, if I then disconnect the lead and then try to go wireless when it detects the wireless signal it gives me the original timeout error message

quagmondo23

Ok, Feel free to try this method but don't blame me if it doesn't work. Connect your laptop to the router and type your default gateway into your url bar. Go to security or wireless or something similar(may vary with different routers) and disable your wpa security. Disconnect and see if you can connect wirelessly.

Mattk

I tried your last point. I reconfigured my router through the web based browser to go unsecured and both pc and laptop can connect and surf unsecured (I am detecting progress) which suggests the laptop cards works. I then put the network back to WPA-PSK and timeout error came up for the laptop again. What next?

quagmondo23

Ok, Up to now I had a plan which was to see if the card worked and it did. Ok. Hmmm. Ok. Let me think. I don't know alot about wpa. Can you test it with WEP?